Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I love my two silkies and silkie mix they are so sweet. Can anyone tell me what color my silkies are? First is my 6m oldsilkie cockrel Audrey and the other is 6m pullet Pepper View attachment 2496478
I love my two silkies and my silkie mix they are sweet. Can anyone tell me what colour my pullet pepper and cockrel Audrey are considered to be?
View attachment 2496478
View attachment 2496476
The first one almost looks like a diluted silver partridge. The last one for sure is a silver partridge. @LynnaePB What do you think about the colors?

Sadly last (4th) chickie didn't survive, squashed by mother hen while hatching so it seems :hitit looks like it may have been a chipmunk colouring (partridge?) . So sad, I love that colour! ..She was a first time mum, she's got 3 to look after now so hope she does ok. I just had to run up and check because the chicks were cheeeeping so loud. They couldn't get to her in the nest box and she didn't go after them so I just picked them up and put them with her.

On a happier note.. here's pics of my 5 x 9 week olds..
IMG_20210122_111323.jpg
IMG_20210122_111018.jpg
IMG_20210122_111047.jpg IMG_20210122_111133.jpg IMG_20210122_110903.jpg

The first one almost looks like a diluted silver partridge. The last one for sure is a silver partridge. @LynnaePB What do you think about the colors?

I agree with gray or silver partridge for both. It's hard to tell the difference between the two since as far as I'm aware they are almost the same other than some patterning differences; for example gray hens shouldn't have penciling on the wings I've heard. Being that silver partridge isn't a recognized color in silkies probably a lot that don't exactly fit gray criteria but are close get called gray anyway.

The first cutie is pretty light but they can vary in shade. I've seen some lighter ones being called Columbian gray before and perhaps that could be a slight possibility for the first as well. If that was the case she'd have similar genetics to a gray/silver partridge but the columbian genetics would restrict the dark pigment more to certain areas like wingtips, tail, and neck/head. It also looks like she's got a moorhead (caused by the charcoal gene which makes the head darker colored) which is fairly common in partridge and gray silkies. It looks like your little male probably has a moorhead as well. :)

All that being said take what I say about grays/silver partridge with a grain of salt. I don't breed them myself and could definitely stand to learn more about them.

My girls have started laying decently again. I've been collecting eggs for the bator. Hopefully someone will go broody before they hatch. This is the only time of year I don't usually have broodies.
It's the middle of winter here. 2 of my silkies went broody. One I broke when we did the coop swap. And the other had 3/4 hatch so far (she a good momma). Long as chicks aren't in my basement. She can hatch them when ever she wants.

Back
Top Bottom