Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
That is a good question, I wish I knew the answer better! :lol:

I've seen one paint breeder recommend breeding to silver based paints or a silver based black. They mentioned something about partridge genetics being a problem that would need to be bred out to get rid of the red.

I kind of think even then it might be tricky. I believe splash calico isn't partridge based and yet they can have red leakage bred in. Also greys are silver based and yet red leakage is a fault that I've heard is very difficult to get rid of that is not too uncommon in greys.

Given this I kind of think the red leakage is independent of patterning genes such as partridge and ground color (silver or gold). I'm sure there are those who know more about it on this site though.

I wouldn't want to start a paint program with a bird leaking red if I could help it as it is very likely to stick around. If you do want to try to breed it out I'd probably just try to keep the offspring that show the least leakage (or no leakage if you get some). It's a lot more likely to show up in the males though I am guessing it can be passed on by the females even if they don't display it (much like hackle leakage/offcolor that is rampant in many male paints).

Your rooster looks like a beautiful bird. If he were mine I'd think about using him in a project color pen like red pyle or for some sort of calico pen as the red leakage will not be a detriment in those projects. Red pyle requires dominant white just like paints do so he might be a good fit there if paired with a red partridge. Red pyle and calico aren't recognized colors and are still project colors unlike paint though. Out of the two red pyle seems probably easier to work with as the genetics are more straight forward (dominant white over red partridge). I guess I should mention it isn't exactly a true red pyle in silkies as you are supposed to use a black breasted red rather than red partridge over dominant white. Since we don't have black breasted reds in silkies red partridge is the closest we have and results in a color similar to red pyle but the birds have red chests unlike true red pyles.

I'm actually dealing with a lot of leakage lately in my paint program so I can relate. This last breeding season I was disappointed to find the male I used passed on red leakage to many of his offspring despite not appearing to have it himself at the time I used him over my girls. Teaches me to use a paint male that is less than a year old. I've had a few now that only started showing leakage after 1 year and another that didn't really show much until he reached 2! :he

I'm sure glad I'm also interested in breeding some red pyle and calico so the best of this years grow outs will still be useful for breeding! :)

Good luck deciding how you want to go about using your boy for breeding, he sure is a cute fluffball! He seems like a good example of how hard it can be to sex silkies sometimes too, I couldn't even tell he was a boy! :lol:
I have considered that because I do have another roo, he is black with silver leakage on the neck. This boy I have gone back and forth on the entire year. But lately he has been trying to crow, and has been very confident for a silkie. I can look into getting him some hens, however he was one of 4 of my original silkies. We lost one to a predator (of course the silver:th) so now they are so close its crazy. He can't be more than 5 feet away from them without franticly running around crying. I don't know how to fix that lol.

Here are some pics of the “chicks” out enjoying a little free range. I’ve confirmed the black one is a cockerel. Caught him crowing and then when one of the d’Uccles was trying to get a dust bath he hopped on top of her. I grabbed him and told him he needed better manners. Also I noticed this morning after he would crow someone else would make a loud squawk. Is that possibly a second cockerel giving a half hearted crow?

Attachments

• EA58FEAE-4AC0-4DB5-BED1-1EFCA4067F7F.jpeg
    EA58FEAE-4AC0-4DB5-BED1-1EFCA4067F7F.jpeg
    956.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 30140551-302C-43D2-82B1-FE021DFB3C77.jpeg
    30140551-302C-43D2-82B1-FE021DFB3C77.jpeg
    789.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 0F62CA0A-ED44-44BB-BFD1-9163B366FDC1.jpeg
    0F62CA0A-ED44-44BB-BFD1-9163B366FDC1.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 4CC10724-BD38-434B-AAF5-3781D5C58A50.jpeg
    4CC10724-BD38-434B-AAF5-3781D5C58A50.jpeg
    802.8 KB · Views: 4
  • B4A19C5E-85E2-4C25-9587-953403DA2D08.jpeg
    B4A19C5E-85E2-4C25-9587-953403DA2D08.jpeg
    510.4 KB · Views: 6
Beautiful birds! 🥰How old are they? Possible you have a second boy. I am thinking it may be your splash silkie (not the satin). Do you have a close up of the comb?😊
Thank you! They are 14 weeks old. I don’t think I have any current pictures that show the comb. I have one from when they were about 8 weeks old and one that slightly shows the face from yesterday I’ll post. The splash was my guess for a possible second cockerel.

Attachments

• E89A243F-7F6E-4914-8D3C-D806AB9EB074.jpeg
    E89A243F-7F6E-4914-8D3C-D806AB9EB074.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 7B902F61-334C-4BCB-8844-8F435FE6D62F.jpeg
    7B902F61-334C-4BCB-8844-8F435FE6D62F.jpeg
    729.9 KB · Views: 5
Thank you! They are 14 weeks old. I don’t think I have any current pictures that show the comb. I have one from when they were about 8 weeks old and one that slightly shows the face from yesterday I’ll post. The splash was my guess for a possible second cockerel.
I guess you will know soon enough! 😊

:celebrate

First and foremost - ABSOLUTELY NO HATING ON SILKIES ALLOWED!!! If you aren’t here to support our fuzzy friends, don’t respond. :)

Silkies get a bad rap for the following:
"Looks like a dust mop"
"Too hard to maintain"
"Poor immune system"
"Dumber than rocks"
"0 predator awareness"
And oh, so much more.

Well my friends - I thought so too, until I actually got silkies for myself. These are some of the most wonderful birds out there.

I’ve found them to be highly heat tolerant, wonderful mothers, having the strongest immune systems in my Bantam flock, GREAT LAYERS (that’s right folks), adorable as all get out, and more. :D

I currently have 9 silkies - and my rooster has been nothing but a gentleman to his ladies. They free range daily and I’ve not had a silkie get killed by a predator yet. My hens average 5 eggs a week - not too bad for a silkie, eh? :)

Most of the time, these silkie haters haven’t even owned the breed, but rather pretend they know everything. :lol:

So... let the fun begin! Support our silkies! :woot

Pictures always welcome. :)

Be mindful, and respect others...

Off-topic discussions are allowed, though try to maintain the subject of silkies.

-Kayla-
I got a pair of chicks on the 17th of January and they were both supposed to be Silkies but come to find out one is a Serama. Do you know how to sex my Silkie?

Attachments

• 20210217_191605.jpg
    20210217_191605.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210225_151710.jpg
    20210225_151710.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 4
I got a pair of chicks on the 17th of January and they were both supposed to be Silkies but come to find out one is a Serama. Do you know how to sex my Silkie?
How old is this bird is? Definitely looks like a silkie. Coloring is a bit off might be a mix. Looks like a cockerel at this point, comb is quite red and large but also it depends on age of the bird. Super cute though!🥰

Back
Top Bottom