Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 781 95.9%
  • ^

Votes: 94 11.5%

• Total voters
I can't remember if I posted yet here or not, but if y'all Silkie lovers would like to help me out with a little project, I'd greatly appreciate it! The details are in this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-sexing-project-2-0.1452129/

Basically I need people to guess what they think each bird's sex is based on the weekly pictures I post. I'm using these guesses as a control for the data I'm collecting to see if there is a more reliable method (besides DNA testing) to determine Silkie sex besides guesses based on appearance.
Awesome project! I just read your thread, I hope I understand it correctly - I can still make a guess on the actual/updated pictures of your babies? Or am I too late now?

Just came back from a farm visit and picked up three chicks!
Most stunning, beautiful, tropical place with an ocean view about 20 minutes from my house! I’ve never been there and it’s just gorgeous. Felt like a sanctuary. Of course I was only planning to get one but I told my mom and husband they should be happy I didn’t come home with 20🤣🤣🤣
The most expensive thing I bought from there was a pound of their own estate grown coffee!
Decided I couldn’t wait until the 21st for little Eko to have company. Photo attached shows the three that I got. A little white silkie that’s probably a few days old at most, a little random barnyard mix that may be a little bit older and the partridge silkie, which according to the gentleman I bought them from is five weeks old, but I suspect she may only be 2 to 3 weeks old at most. She’s may be half the size of Imari, who is a month old.
Anyway I felt comfortable putting together as they have been in brooders and had not been outside yet. Taking a chance of course but I checked them over for mites and any visible parasites and they are all clean.
Going to post the little barnyard mix on the “what breed is this” forum and see if anybody can help me figure out what breed(s) s(he) might be.🥰
274DC348-6569-4D62-837F-7D4537EB06DC.jpeg

Most stunning, beautiful, tropical place with an ocean view about 20 minutes from my house! I’ve never been there and it’s just gorgeous. Felt like a sanctuary. Of course I was only planning to get one but I told my mom and husband they should be happy I didn’t come home with 20🤣🤣🤣
The most expensive thing I bought from there was a pound of their own estate grown coffee!
Decided I couldn’t wait until the 21st for little Eko to have company. Photo attached shows the three that I got. A little white silkie that’s probably a few days old at most, a little random barnyard mix that may be a little bit older and the partridge silkie, which according to the gentleman I bought them from is five weeks old, but I suspect she may only be 2 to 3 weeks old at most. She’s may be half the size of Imari, who is a month old.
Anyway I felt comfortable putting together as they have been in brooders and had not been outside yet. Taking a chance of course but I checked them over for mites and any visible parasites and they are all clean.
Going to post the little barnyard mix on the “what breed is this” forum and see if anybody can help me figure out what breed(s) s(he) might be.🥰View attachment 2611152
How wonderful little Eko has some friends now :thumbsup
Awesome to see her scratching happily with the others! ❤️
They are all so sweet 🥰

Going to post the little barnyard mix on the “what breed is this” forum and see if anybody can help me figure out what breed(s) s(he) might be.🥰View attachment 2611152

Aww that is great news, they are adorable! So happy to hear little Eko has company now! 🥰

Is the little partridge silver based? It looks like it from the picture but I can't quite tell. :lol:

I hope you get some good guesses as to what your little barnyard mix is, it's very cute anyway! 😁

Aww that is great news, they are adorable! So happy to hear little Eko has company now! 🥰

Is the little partridge silver based? It looks like it from the picture but I can't quite tell. :lol:

I hope you get some good guesses as to what your little barnyard mix is, it's very cute anyway! 😁
Yes I thought the little Partridge is silver based too, but she has some brown feathering in her wings as well so maybe some kind of weird mix? I’ve always wanted a silver Partridge, so I took her when I had the chance! He actually had another buyer for her that did not show up, so he said I could have her. The gentleman had mostly white silkies but also some random other colors, he did not keep them separated at all. I did not see any of the adult birds. So could be anything.🤣
Hoping it’s female I have a hunch it is. It does have a vaulted skull but has good feet and looks like the wings are in pretty good shape too.😊
Here are some close-up photos of her feathering. She’s very sweet, considering she hasn’t been handled at all. Seems very mellow and tame already.🥰
D837A378-C381-4587-80E5-DD7FA69B7D0E.jpeg
06C9BF86-E700-4181-9E70-7506699F431D.jpeg
44323743-16C7-4D47-B131-DB1291039FA8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom