Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Broody question:
when Pippin was brooding on a shop egg (around 9 weeks ago), she had food\water bowls in the coop, I still took her outside twice a day to make sure she ate. But it was a shop egg, I knew it wouldn't hatch.
Now, Pippin has her food\water bowls, should I still take her out? I am worried if I do, it breaks her broodiness, I don't want her to give up on her fertile ones! I wasn't so worried about it last time (because it wouldn't hatch anyway). What do you guys think? Any other broody tips?
Wow she's been broody sitting for 9 weeks already? Then now another 3 weeks with these new eggs. 3 months of being broody is a long time! Sorry but I wouldn't allow her to be broody that long as it does take a toll on their health sitting all day and night (apart from a quick break for a tiny nibble and dust bath) They usually loose weight and depreciate in health... I hope your Pippin will be ok though, do you have an incubator as a backup? And brooder setup if she rejects the chick/chicks?

I would take away the supermarket egg as it could go rotten and explode under her, messy! :sick

Leave food and water for her nearby. She will get up herself to eat and drink.. often it's only once a day as they only eat/drink very little. If you do notice her not getting up then you can get her up yourself, sometimes they go a few day without getting up.

Honestly if I knew before Pippin was broody that long I would have suggested to break her and not get the fertile eggs.. leave it till next time so she can take recover and be in top health again.
I have had 2 hens die after raising chicks, its like they expended all their energy on brooding and raising the chicks then went down in health fast, died from unknown causes :(

Too early to tell and you can not really go by comb this young. My Akira had a HUGE and WIDE comb at this age, but is still a pullet. Easter looks partridge in coloring, so if s(he) starts to develop red over the wings and black on the breast then you will know. Beautiful chick🥰
Thanks! .. better not have red leakage or I'll want to keep it if it's a boy! :lol:
I'll give s/he a few more weeks and watch for development 🧐

Awww she sounds adorable 🥰
Sorry I can't be of any help about the feathers - my silkies are now 4 weeks old and I don't have any experience how they look or should look with 6 weeks.
I would love to see pictures from your little girl!
Here's my 6 week silkie but she doesn't really look like pics of other 6 week silkies, she looks like just a big baby baby late getting her feather in, what's does everyone else reckon?

Attachments

• IMG_20210506_151956.jpg
    IMG_20210506_151956.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210506_151811.jpg
    IMG_20210506_151811.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 4
I tried to already post pics of my big baby silkie but not sure it worked so sorry if repeating... This is Dolly the 6 week silky, to me she doesn't look like other silkies her age, she seems to still be mainly baby floof, what does everyone reckon?

Attachments

• IMG_20210506_151956.jpg
    IMG_20210506_151956.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210506_151811.jpg
    IMG_20210506_151811.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 4
Wow she's been broody sitting for 9 weeks already? Then now another 3 weeks with these new eggs. 3 months of being broody is a long
Sorry if i didn't explain correctly, she was broody 9wks ago with the shop egg. After 21 days she stopped after it didn't hatch.
9 weeks later she went broody again and we gave her the eggs

Here's my 6 week silkie but she doesn't really look like pics of other 6 week silkies, she looks like just a big baby baby late getting her feather in, what's does everyone else reckon?
What a sweetie! Dolly is adorable 🥰
...What I can say is she definitely does have more fluff/feathers than my close to 5 weeks old babies (especially her crest).

View attachment 2652520Broody PippinView attachment 2652521can anyone identify her eggs?
The one with the line and red stamp is a Supermarket Blacktail egg so don't identify that one!
The eBay seller said it was a silkie hybrid with either RIR, cream leg, copper maran or light sussex

Sweet Pippin on duty 🥰 😊

You wrote the eggs are from Silkie-cross hens or did I understand wrong and they are from hens of the breeds you named crossed with a Silkie purebred rooster?
I know a Copper Marans hen, Mathilda, her eggs are not extremely dark red so I wouldn't rule out CM involved regarding the darker brown egg. But sure could be RIR otherwise.
Some of my friend's crosses with blue egg-genes involved are laying (nearly) white eggs - so I think it's difficult about the light egg - could be with Cream legbar heritage or could be Light Sussex. ...Both eggs are difficult to assign in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom