Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Eko, Amai, Hanabi and Yuki are gorgeous 😍😍😍😍 And they all are so beautiful!
The little tails from Hanabi and Yuki 😄🥰
Fingers crossed for the three eggs that are ready to hatch :fl❤️

Thank you - have a wonderful Monday, too!
So excited about the eggs! Someday, ill get an incubator and eggs.. maybe for a quail project.

The wild quail were in the street today with about a dozen babies, only 2" tall from the ground up! Adorable!

You can hear the males crowing in the mornings and evenings.. sounds like a distant chihuahua barking 😂 They walk along the yard walls and sometimes the whole family is on a roof!

Here are the type we have here (not my pics).

gambels-quail-colored-plumage-foraging-desert-820x525.jpg quail family.jpg

You can hear the males crowing in the mornings and evenings.. sounds like a distant chihuahua barking 😂 They walk along the yard walls and sometimes the whole family is on a roof!

Here are the type we have here (not my pics).

View attachment 2662584View attachment 2662585
They paved over my county with strip malls so all the quail, redwing black birds and killdeer have vanished. I used to see these all the time as a kid... now they are gone from most areas. One of my favorite childhood birds.

They paved over my county with strip malls so all the quail, redwing black birds and killdeer have vanished. I used to see these all the time as a kid... now they are gone from most areas. One of my favorite childhood birds.
That is currently happening where im at, but the city and county requires the developers to add greenbelts throughout everything they build. Im sure its affected the population, but its nice to see wildlife even within the developments. I hope they don't change their minds with the push for more housing and businesses.

I grew up in L.A., total city kid, and we were sooooo excited to move to Florida because the home we got was next to this small wooded area.. there were deer, all kinds of turtles, birds galore... being city kids we were just in Love w the place. and within 2 years, they bulldozes it all and put a freeway. Heartbreaking.

That is currently happening where im at, but the city and county requires the developers to add greenbelts throughout everything they build. Im sure its affected the population, but its nice to see wildlife even within the developments. I hope they don't change their minds with the push for more housing and businesses.

I grew up in L.A., total city kid, and we were sooooo excited to move to Florida because the home we got was next to this small wooded area.. there were deer, all kinds of turtles, birds galore... being city kids we were just in Love w the place. and within 2 years, they bulldozes it all and put a freeway. Heartbreaking.
Here in my region we should have partridges. They have vanished. Extensive agriculture. Same with hares. When I was a kid we saw the hares battle in spring on the empty fields. Haven't seen this since many, many years now.
...It seems to be nearly everywhere the same and it's sad.

Here in my region we should have partridges. They have vanished. Extensive agriculture. Same with hares. When I was a kid we saw the hares battle in spring on the empty fields. Haven't seen this since many, many years now.
...It seems to be nearly everywhere the same and it's sad.
We’ve had something else happen in the SF Bay Area lately. This past year, with the humans mostly penned up, we’ve had an absolute explosion of turkeys. Traffic having to stop on major streets for large flocks. Residents in my neighborhood come out just to watch some of our local birds wander around (I’ve been here 15 years and never saw a single one before!). And strangest yet — people (who a year ago would honk impatiently if a driver was slow to go when the light changed) smile and get out of cars to take photos and video and nobody honks. A Tom displaying in El Cerrito stopped traffic both ways as we all just watched him strut.

We’ve had something else happen in the SF Bay Area lately. This past year, with the humans mostly penned up, we’ve had an absolute explosion of turkeys. Traffic having to stop on major streets for large flocks. Residents in my neighborhood come out just to watch some of our local birds wander around (I’ve been here 15 years and never saw a single one before!). And strangest yet — people (who a year ago would honk impatiently if a driver was slow to go when the light changed) smile and get out of cars to take photos and video and nobody honks. A Tom displaying in El Cerrito stopped traffic both ways as we all just watched him strut.
Oh wow! I would love to have wild turkeys here!

Back
Top Bottom