Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
They are doing great thanks for asking! They are getting big, the oldest are going to be 6 weeks this Friday and the youngest are a week behind that. :D

I'll have to see about getting some pictures tomorrow during the day. Three of the little silver partridge babies look somewhat similar to Amai right now. I think most have a bit of a brown tint thanks to the autosomal red, maybe Amai has a little of that too. 😊
Awesome they are all doing great! Yes pictures please 😊

ForTheLoveOfSilkies how do Biscuit and his dad get along? And how is little Easter doing?
They seem to get along ok now, I have seen Rooster have a bloody comb a few times but not in the last week so they must have stopped fighting, for now. Rooster chases Biscuit away from mating the hens and any treats but they seem ok thankfully.
Easter is doing great with mother Puff still caring for him/her. Hoping a pullet, but the comb is looking wide for age 😬 I will wait a few more weeks and post pics for gender guesses! I don't want to wait too long because I will need to cull if it's a boy unfortunately.
IMG_20210516_074414.jpg

They seem to get along ok now, I have seen Rooster have a bloody comb a few times but not in the last week so they must have stopped fighting, for now. Rooster chases Biscuit away from mating the hens and any treats but they seem ok thankfully.
Easter is doing great with mother Puff still caring for him/her. Hoping a pullet, but the comb is looking wide for age 😬 I will wait a few more weeks and post pics for gender guesses! I don't want to wait too long because I will need to cull if it's a boy unfortunately.
View attachment 2673544
That's good news from Biscuit and his dad - it would be awesome if their relationship stays now like that!
I'm further crossing my fingers little Easter is a girl :fl

Biscuit is such a super handsom boy 🥰

View attachment 2673544
All their colors are so pretty, i bet you'd get a quick Craigslist take even if easter is male!! Just gorgeous, all of them!

My rehoming went well, and its at a rooster ok home, so no worries regardless of how things turn out! Cleaned up and put away the supplies and brooder, which might have to serve as chicken jail soon!

My Minnie does a lot of male things, like crow 🤣 !! It is funny sounding! But she also keeps grabbing Elsa and mounting her.. which wouldn't be a prob, but shes pulling feathers when she does it. I'll watch for a few days and hope she knocks it off, otherwise she's going to get a 48 hr jail sentence!

My rehoming went well, and its at a rooster ok home, so no worries regardless of how things turn out! Cleaned up and put away the supplies and brooder, which might have to serve as chicken jail soon!

My Minnie does a lot of male things, like crow 🤣 !! It is funny sounding! But she also keeps grabbing Elsa and mounting her.. which wouldn't be a prob, but shes pulling feathers when she does it. I'll watch for a few days and hope she knocks it off, otherwise she's going to get a 48 hr jail sentence!
:hugsI didn't know it would be so soon that Bambi and Flower go to their new home. Sending hugs❤️
...I think your little Minnie is distracting you very well from the recent goodbye 🤗😊
How does Elsa feel about Minnie's behaviour?
What you describe makes me a bit thinking of Mathilda, a Copper Marans and the top hen from the chickens my mom and I visit every day. After their rooster died last summer she kind of took over his role, my mom and I heard her crow several times in the evening and she showed some hens food. Now the owners added 20 chicks now becoming pullets and cockerels and since then Mathilda 'flexes her muscels' - she mounts other hens, grabbing them in the neck, has redder comb and wattels than ever, punishes every youngster she can reach (and also the misbehaving grown ups) 💪

:hugsI didn't know it would be so soon that Bambi and Flower go to their new home. Sending hugs❤️
...I think your little Minnie is distracting you very well from the recent goodbye 🤗😊
How does Elsa feel about Minnie's behaviour?
What you describe makes me a bit thinking of Mathilda, a Copper Marans and the top hen from the chickens my mom and I visit every day. After their rooster died last summer she kind of took over his role, my mom and I heard her crow several times in the evening and she showed some hens food. Now the owners added 20 chicks now becoming pullets and cockerels and since then Mathilda 'flexes her muscels' - she mounts other hens, grabbing them in the neck, has redder comb and wattels than ever, punishes every youngster she can reach (and also the misbehaving grown ups) 💪
Yes!! Minnie is my Mathilda! I'm ok with her wanting to be in charge, but i want her to be a nice rooster in charge! I'm not sure how else feels.. i did try to get a pic of her new favorite spot, under the coop ramp, where only she can fit! She's a smart girl. She's gets first dibs on food too, because I've stopped adding a dog bowl and only keep the feeder full. Of course, as a cochin, she just wants food! So she eats from the feeder before the D'uccles finally give up their hope for a dog bowl.. this is why i don't need tv 📺

I stopped picking up and hanging with the chickies on Thursday, which helped, i didn't feel sad when the day came. But ive learned with other chicks, there's no guarantee they'd end up as tame and friendly as my current big girls. So I'm just going to spoil these instead.

Back
Top Bottom