Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
@LynnaePB and @LadiesAndJane are good with genetic questions 😊 ... I love red leakage, any photos of your Silkies!?
Thanks for the tag. 😊
I am no expert in paints. Just got my first paint cockerel.
Paints have one copy of dominant white and one copy of black. They can be bred to dominant white, black and other paints and you will get a percentage of paint offspring. Not sure about leakage. @LynnaePB breeds paints and would be the best to answer any paint related questions.

This is my fella. He only has a few spots of red on his head but it looks like he might have a little between his shoulders.

Attachments

• 20210616_200551.jpg
    20210616_200551.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 4
What are the genetics behind paints? I bought 2 and one of them has some Buff/red leakage.

Red leakage can definitely pop up in a paint program. It's tricky to get rid of so I believe most breeders avoid putting the offspring with it back into their paint program.

If you breed him you'll likely get some more paints possibly with red leakage as well (usually it shows up much more so in the males than females). You may or may not get some red pyle like colors somewhere down the line breeding him. Red pyle and paint both involve dominant white which isn't very good at blocking red/buff pigment.

I get some paint boys with a little red leakage myself sometimes. I won't use them with my paints but I'd love to work on a paint calico project and the ones with the red seem perfect for that. :D

Both of your little paints are just beautiful! I think the red spot on your little boy is so adorable looking! 🥰

One of my grow out girls, Freedom, at about four months!

She looks almost exactly like her mother, Skye Bloo, but is a bit fluffier. She does not have the best crest or fluff, but I will keep her because she has the light blue coloring I want more of!

Sorry for the unnatural glow, I have been experimenting with Lightroom.

20210601120819_IMG_0633.jpg

Back
Top Bottom