Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Ginger's a bit of a biter if you put your hand near her face suddenly. I guess if she doesn't see who you are she gets scared. Apart from that she is very friendly. She is difficult to catch, but when I do catch her, she loves to have a snuggle on my lap. She's had a long day! She is being bullied a bit (pecking on the head and face) but she will soon settle in like raven has...

Raven is very sweet too. She seems to have settled into the flock well, she's been dust-bathing with my 16wk olds. She enjoys cuddles. She seems quite comfortable here now!

Ginger's a bit of a biter if you put your hand near her face suddenly. I guess if she doesn't see who you are she gets scared. Apart from that she is very friendly. She is difficult to catch, but when I do catch her, she loves to have a snuggle on my lap. She's had a long day! She is being bullied a bit (pecking on the head and face) but she will soon settle in like raven has...

Raven is very sweet too. She seems to have settled into the flock well, she's been dust-bathing with my 16wk olds. She enjoys cuddles. She seems quite comfortable here now!

I've had some young girls that were biters for awhile as well, thankfully that habit didn't last for too long before they got used to being handled. :)

I hope little Ginger will settle in quickly and won't get picked on too much longer, that is great Raven is integrating so well! 🥰

Perhaps the seller got a little mixed up with ages.....they definitely look a bit older than 6 weeks to me.

The two bigger white babies in the picture below are about 6 weeks, definitely looking younger than your two girls I'd say. At this age their crests weren't in as much as your girls yet.

Whites.JPG

Such a cutie! I'm kind of leaning towards male with little Easter but he/she is a tough one. The red starting to come in on the wings does point more towards male. That being said I have a hen who got a spot of red on her wing recently and she is most definitely female (she is laying and I've hatched chicks from her before). She didn't get it till her first adult molt though. I haven't seen red coming in on the wings of adolescents except for boys so far myself.

She is so pretty, I love her color! 🥰

She looks like a silver partridge to me (fairly light, looks maybe blue based). Since silver partridge isn't a recognized color in silkies a lot of people would call her grey as that is silver partridge minus some patterning (which you can see on the wings of your girl) and is a recognized color. It gets a little confusing, sometimes I don't know what to call them! :lol:

Congratulations on your new girl, she is a cutie! By the way she looks I'd feel pretty confident she is indeed a she (nice rounded crest, no obvious streamers, small comb). :D
Thank you for telling me about the colors ❤️

Integration is a process!
So, the day finally came where I felt little Himawari (6 and half weeks old) was big enough to try hanging with the "big kids", all ages from 9 and half weeks to 4 months of age, in the bantam coop. She and Hanabi have been staying out in the A-frame during the day for the past 3 weeks.
They had their first outing today, supervised for about an hour and a half.
The other chicks came to check them out, all were sweet to them, except 10 week old Eko had to give a little peck on the head to make sure they knew he was the boss. He apparently does not know that 4 month old Hikari is! 😊
Himawari ended up dust bathing with some of the big girls, so that was a good sign.
Photo heavy!🥰
Integration2.jpg
Integration1.jpg
Integration3.jpg
Integration7.jpg
Integration9.jpg
Integration11.jpg
Integration12.jpg
Integration13.jpg
Integration15.jpg

Such a cutie! I'm kind of leaning towards male with little Easter but he/she is a tough one. The red starting to come in on the wings does point more towards male. That being said I have a hen who got a spot of red on her wing recently and she is most definitely female (she is laying and I've hatched chicks from her before). She didn't get it till her first adult molt though. I haven't seen red coming in on the wings of adolescents except for boys so far myself.

She is so pretty, I love her color! 🥰

She looks like a silver partridge to me (fairly light, looks maybe blue based). Since silver partridge isn't a recognized color in silkies a lot of people would call her grey as that is silver partridge minus some patterning (which you can see on the wings of your girl) and is a recognized color. It gets a little confusing, sometimes I don't know what to call them! :lol:

Congratulations on your new girl, she is a cutie! By the way she looks I'd feel pretty confident she is indeed a she (nice rounded crest, no obvious streamers, small comb). :D
I think little Easter is an extremely sweet little mystery :idunno

Does red coming in on wings point generally to a little male or just regarding the color partridge?
...My little Babette (- whom I think is female -) has a lot of red coming in on her wings but she is not a partridge (I have no clue about her color BUT I know she is not a partridge 😅)
RIMG1438.JPG

Integration is a process!
So, the day finally came where I felt little Himawari (6 and half weeks old) was big enough to try hanging with the "big kids", all ages from 9 and half weeks to 4 months of age, in the bantam coop. She and Hanabi have been staying out in the A-frame during the day for the past 3 weeks.
They had their first outing today, supervised for about an hour and a half.
The other chicks came to check them out, all were sweet to them, except 10 week old Eko had to give a little peck on the head to make sure they knew he was the boss. He apparently does not know that 4 month old Hikari is! 😊
Himawari ended up dust bathing with some of the big girls, so that was a good sign.
Photo heavy!🥰View attachment 2733684View attachment 2733683View attachment 2733685View attachment 2733687View attachment 2733689View attachment 2733691View attachment 2733692View attachment 2733693View attachment 2733695
I love this SO much :love

I think little Easter is an extremely sweet little mystery :idunno

Does red coming in on wings point generally to a little male or just regarding the color partridge?
...My little Babette (- whom I think is female -) has a lot of red coming in on her wings but she is not a partridge (I have no clue about her color BUT I know she is not a partridge 😅)
View attachment 2733706
She is a beauty! 🥰No, in this case, looks like it is just her color. She has alot of red everywhere. 😊

Back
Top Bottom