Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I love, love, love silkies. I am highly considering fizzling out of my mixed flock and ONLY having silkies. No free ranging if I do that though lol.
Mine all range around, I have a few roosters though with watchful eyes but have had birds swoop down and attack chicks a few times but between roosters alarms and mother hens brilliant fast attack back I have never lost any that were part of the flock (I have lost one young Silkie to predator but it wasn't considered part of the flock because mother hen rejected her 2 remaining chicks weeks before that, the other chick survived and integrated herself later)- that mother hen will not mother again.

Why would u not be able to free range? Or roam as I like to call it?

Free range silkies here get eaten by a hawk, eagle, coyote, cougar, or dog. Hawks are the worst even though I feed the ravens to help keep them away. Dogs are next worst.

Silkies just can't see them coming unless you're shaving their crest off.

My silkies have a fenced, netted, grassy courtyard that all the silkie pens open into that is 50'x30. They can be let out at different times to feel like they are free ranging. And fight over who gets the coveted spot under the gooseberry bush.

Free range silkies here get eaten by a hawk, eagle, coyote, cougar, or dog. Hawks are the worst even though I feed the ravens to help keep them away. Dogs are next worst.

Silkies just can't see them coming unless you're shaving their crest off.

My silkies have a fenced, netted, grassy courtyard that all the silkie pens open into that is 50'x30. They can be let out at different times to feel like they are free ranging. And fight over who gets the coveted spot under the gooseberry bush.
Yeah, basically this. I free range my random assortment of other chickens, but I’ve tried freeranging silkies before with poor results. I just don’t feel like they have as good of a chance at escaping predators as my other guys. It doesn't feel fair to me. Not saying you are doing anything bad or wrong if you do free range them, it’s just in my particular area and in my experience, I don’t feel very comfortable with it. :) I do plan on getting them a large run though.

Perhaps I have been very fortunate...since they were 4 weeks old I have been letting them roam the back yard...I watch them every few minutes. But admittedly less as time has gone on and nothing has happened. I will be sooooooo thankful once their new digs are all setup.and ready! If covid and hives would leave us alone, they'd be in it already!
It's 200 sqft all (better be) secure n safe!

Last edited:
Sounds like for your little pullets best interests you should keep Polish in a separate space until you decide what to do with him. I sell my extra birds by posting on Craigslist “farm and garden” section. Really clear, good photos help. May take awhile.😊
Does he need to be separated from them 24/7 or do theynjist sleep at night and can remain together? Sorry stupid question but Idk.

Attachments

• 20210727_135028.jpg
    20210727_135028.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210727_133638.jpg
    20210727_133638.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 5
Does he need to be separated from them 24/7 or do theynjist sleep at night and can remain together? Sorry stupid question but Idk.
Not a stupid question at all. I actually took mine in to sleep with the others once they were settled in, so he would not bother any of them, and then took him out first thing in the morning just as it is getting light. More work for you though!😊

Hey have a coop just for my Silkie but lost the 4 I had
in the heat .. I have three growing up in brooder now. @ black one splash, white and black.
My girls where so smart I have tractor for them but you carry them from the coop.. They would wait at the door to go out then be next to door at night to put them in their coop for the night .. I have two tables in the coop low enough they would roost on them..

I have one teenie tiny polish that is really mean.. well, curious, which is causing probs. It is continually poking at everyone's eye lids and vents.. my tiniest chick actually has a little tear/rip on its lower lid! I mean they aren't even a week yet, so i don't think separating can work. Going to wash everyone's butts tomorrow.. just some dried poop on feathers, no pasty butt, but at least it'll be one less thing for mean chick to notice.

Back
Top Bottom