Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Hey have a coop just for my Silkie but lost the 4 I had
in the heat .. I have three growing up in brooder now. @ black one splash, white and black.
My girls where so smart I have tractor for them but you carry them from the coop.. They would wait at the door to go out then be next to door at night to put them in their coop for the night .. I have two tables in the coop low enough they would roost on them..
Sorry about your losses. 🙁
Sounds like they were little sweeties.

I have one teenie tiny polish that is really mean.. well, curious, which is causing probs. It is continually poking at everyone's eye lids and vents.. my tiniest chick actually has a little tear/rip on its lower lid! I mean they aren't even a week yet, so i don't think separating can work. Going to wash everyone's butts tomorrow.. just some dried poop on feathers, no pasty butt, but at least it'll be one less thing for mean chick to notice.
Wow, that is young for this behavior. Do they have enough room?
Maybe give them some "enrichment" to keep them busy.😊

Wow, that is young for this behavior. Do they have enough room?
Maybe give them some "enrichment" to keep them busy.😊
They have tons of room... the brooder is about 4'x2'.. i put two towels in so they could cuddle separately.. they dumped food everywhere, so they sort of peck around separately. I tried tiny veggies but they don't seem interested just yet. I'll see if i can find some legos.. i think that's what i used last time (just donated them all i think). Kind of disappointed. I had a frizzle cochin chick like that, and she only got worse, even being teenie tiny.

They have tons of room... the brooder is about 4'x2'.. i put two towels in so they could cuddle separately.. they dumped food everywhere, so they sort of peck around separately. I tried tiny veggies but they don't seem interested just yet. I'll see if i can find some legos.. i think that's what i used last time (just donated them all i think). Kind of disappointed. I had a frizzle cochin chick like that, and she only got worse, even being teenie tiny.
Huge brooder! 😊 You can draw some random dots on the side of the brooder, they can spend alot of time trying to pick up the "bugs. They do not seem to tire of this. Hopefully it is just a passing phase and your little stinker gets over it soon.

Huge brooder! 😊 You can draw some random dots on the side of the brooder, they can spend alot of time trying to pick up the "bugs. They do not seem to tire of this. Hopefully it is just a passing phase and your little stinker gets over it soon.
Very good idea!! I just found a couple shiny Christmas bows.. figure they can't actually destroy them just yet.. so hopefully that will keep them curious. I like the bug idea tho, I'll do that in the morning.

Ever have days like this? You used to be able to squeeze through a space and you don't realize how big you've gotten. Now your butt doesn't fit through.

She was screaming her head off for help instead of trying to back out.

20210727_203147.jpg

This is my first year with silkies, I have three. All three of them look to be pullets! :yesss: I have to say, they win the prize on most adorable fluff butts ever!! ❤️ My grandma was very shocked to see them, said she has never seen anything like them before!:lau My mom absolutely fell in love with them, she now said she wants only silkies. I have to admit I love them too! They are funny but gorgeous girls. I love them from the bottom of my heart.

Attachments

• 28DD8F88-E421-40C2-9B47-A11FEED61F8C.jpeg
    28DD8F88-E421-40C2-9B47-A11FEED61F8C.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 4ABBBD8D-CAA7-435C-BB52-4BD95B91FE5A.jpeg
    4ABBBD8D-CAA7-435C-BB52-4BD95B91FE5A.jpeg
    505.7 KB · Views: 5
  • FDA7CA5D-6464-48FB-8CF3-2394D12F3A88.jpeg
    FDA7CA5D-6464-48FB-8CF3-2394D12F3A88.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 87EDB1D9-8A80-4313-8690-D9A83F5D8FB2.jpeg
    87EDB1D9-8A80-4313-8690-D9A83F5D8FB2.jpeg
    554.9 KB · Views: 5
This is my first year with silkies, I have three. All three of them look to be pullets! :yesss: I have to say, they win the prize on most adorable fluff butts ever!! ❤️ My grandma was very shocked to see them, said she has never seen anything like them before!:lau My mom absolutely fell in love with them, she now said she wants only silkies. I have to admit I love them too! They are funny but gorgeous girls. I love them from the bottom of my heart.
U def have some cuties!
BTW did they eat that lettuce you were handing them in last pic? I can't get mine to eat it for nothing! I've grown 3 different types of lettuce and they could care less!

Not a stupid question at all. I actually took mine in to sleep with the others once they were settled in, so he would not bother any of them, and then took him out first thing in the morning just as it is getting light. More work for you though!😊
Ah I didn't see this til this morning so lil Polish spent the night in time out by himself. He did submit to me once I put him in there and he could have EASILY flown out because we hadn't been able to finish the new open air coop! But he sat here ALL NIGHT LONG! I actually woke up before he even crowed and got this pic.
20210728_060345.jpg

Looks like a male comb from what I can see, but a clear close up with comb is still needed. Maybe you could hold Mango, push his crest back with one hand and have some one get a few really clear photos in good lighting?
Please also remind me of age?😊
My husband is very HANDS-OFF with the chickens. So when I went out this morning after seeing Polish perched on watering can ALL NIGHT LONG, the silkies were still in lil coop. So I opened door and picked Mango up (def first cuz he normally pecks me). I pulled back his crest and his walnut comb is definitely bulging. So I placed him in with Polish. Gave em both some scratch to hopefully occupy them for a while.
Will this work with both of them together?

Back
Top Bottom