Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Checked the coop and.....

2 eggs!

BLUE LAYED HER FIRST EGG!
View attachment 2836293View attachment 2836295

and with pippin's...
View attachment 2836300
Hooray!! Congrats! She and her first egg are so cute and pretty! We might have had a first egg layer today. My sister found our chickens running around with some sort of egg shell membrane/soft shell egg! So we don't know who it is but we are guessing one of our mixed breed pullets that are five months old! Sorry about this random story! 😅

20210726_185409_HDR.jpg

Hooray!! Congrats! She and her first egg are so cute and pretty! We might have had a first egg layer today. My sister found our chickens running around with some sort of egg shell membrane/soft shell egg! So we don't know who it is but we are guessing one of our mixed breed pullets that are five months old! Sorry about this random story! 😅
My cochin was doing that when she first started laying.. i couldn't figure out what they were fighting over!! I dissolved a calcium tablet and sopped it up with a little piece of bread.. of course piglet inhaled it.. within a day the eggs were hard and it's never happened again since!

You could also offer oyster shell on the side if you are not feeding a layer feed (has calcium already added).
I feed an "all flock" as I have a cockerel, too. Layer feed is bad for the boys as the extra calcium can cause kidney problems in males.
I have a raised dog feeder and use one of the bowls for grit and one for oyster shell and the birds will eat what they need. 🙂

You could also offer oyster shell on the side if you are not feeding a layer feed (has calcium already added).
I feed an "all flock" as I have a cockerel, too. Layer feed is bad for the boys as the extra calcium can cause kidney problems in males.
I have a raised dog feeder and use one of the bowls for grit and one for oyster shell and the birds will eat what they need. 🙂
All flock is better too because it has higher protein, which the boys and girls need.😊

Back
Top Bottom