Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Depends on where you live. Always best to find eggs and/or chicks close to where you are if possible. I got my original silkies from Alabama Silkies. Had eggs shipped all the way to Hawaii and 14/16 hatched. (Have not had the same luck with shipped eggs since). They do not ship chicks. I was quite pleased with the chicks that hatched. They have some satins in their mix, so you may end up with some. (I had one).
If you are on the West Coast I highly recommend Ranier Foothills Farm.
There are also many silkie breeders here on BYC! ❤️
Try posting here too:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/chicken-hatching-eggs.36/
Thank you! I saved both pages so I’ll be able to find them later :D This spring would be the earliest I’d be able to hatch, so I may start a thread then :)
Number 17 just hatched!😃 This is the one I made the safety hole in yesterday afternoon. Another paint chick.😊
View attachment 2868831View attachment 2868824View attachment 2868821
So cute! ❤️

I got some new pictures of the silkies the other day. Branch is now crowing and has settled into a routine. He crows every other morning and will only do it about 5 to 6 times before he comes off the roost. The rest of the time he is silent. They are still very bonded to their Marans brother who was a hatch mate. Lil Bit is especially close to him and of the 3 silkies she is the one who likes being handled the least. When you pick her up she will protest loudly for about 30 seconds before settling down. I try to respect her wishes and only handle her at night when I put her on the roost. At nighttime she is ok with being held for a few minutes. Tuesday though I noticed she had been pooped on and her crest needed cleaning. So much to her dismay that meant I had to catch her. Bubba her Marans brother was out in the front yard with the other 2 when I caught her. Lil Bit shrieked and within 5 seconds he came charging head down and hackles raised to protect his sister. When he saw that I had her he came skidding to a stop and watched as I cleaned her head. When I was done and let her go she ran right to him and he led her back to the other 2.
View attachment 2868943View attachment 2868945View attachment 2868946
When your little it helps to have a larger body guard.
View attachment 2868948View attachment 2868950
My buddy Branch
View attachment 2868951
Great photos!
Branch is so handsome.🥰 Does he still watch TV with you?
Love that they all get along so well.

I got Betty White to visit me yesterday so I got a couple pics with her 😍

Attachments

• 03C9525D-8058-4B8C-BF0F-67AF809D002B.jpeg
    03C9525D-8058-4B8C-BF0F-67AF809D002B.jpeg
    594.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 5362BC9C-EF8E-4C5A-B2AA-909682D74705.jpeg
    5362BC9C-EF8E-4C5A-B2AA-909682D74705.jpeg
    579 KB · Views: 1
Yes I bring him in at least 2 times a week for tv time. He really seems to enjoy it and actually will focus on the tv.
Ahhh that’s super cute! 😁 I had my Ameraucana in the house with me this week and she watched some football with me. Might let her watch some today too! 😁

Attachments

• 631E3D0A-3C0B-436F-9000-A7232D7ED3C3.jpeg
    631E3D0A-3C0B-436F-9000-A7232D7ED3C3.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 1
😍😍😍
Congrats on the new little!
Love the coloring on the new chick! Almost looks like chocolate.
Silly silkies will try to brood anything.🤣
The little chick was cheeeeping alot like something was wrong so hopefully it's ok 😢 I guess I'll find out later today if Puff comes off the nest.
Your little newbe hatchlings are gorgeous! Would be fun to watch the hatching in an incubator, unfortunately you can't under a broody 😂

Puffs first is out, another pipping I see and 3rd one nothing yet..
These eggs are from Chino or Char hens and Biscuit or Cookie roosters. I was expecting more partridge but I guess the dark colour in mother is more dominant?

View attachment 2868572
View attachment 2868573

Chino in background (was pecking chicks, Smokey isn't very protective unfortunately)
View attachment 2868574
And this is Char just in broody jail at mo. 2 broodies are enough at this time 😂.. I think she's trying to hatch her roosting piece of wood 😂
View attachment 2868575

Congratulations on another little one! I hope it is doing alright despite the loud cheeping! :fl

It's my understanding that colors like black (and blue and splash since they are on a black base) are more dominant than partridge which I believe is recessive. If Chino or Char happen to be carrying one copy of it you could still get some partridge babies from them too though. 😊
Number 17 just hatched!😃 This is the one I made the safety hole in yesterday afternoon. Another paint chick.😊
View attachment 2868831View attachment 2868824View attachment 2868821
Congratulations on the new baby! You've hatched so many paints! It's funny how sometimes they pass one color a lot more than another even when it should be 50/50. 😁

I got some new pictures of the silkies the other day. Branch is now crowing and has settled into a routine. He crows every other morning and will only do it about 5 to 6 times before he comes off the roost. The rest of the time he is silent. They are still very bonded to their Marans brother who was a hatch mate. Lil Bit is especially close to him and of the 3 silkies she is the one who likes being handled the least. When you pick her up she will protest loudly for about 30 seconds before settling down. I try to respect her wishes and only handle her at night when I put her on the roost. At nighttime she is ok with being held for a few minutes. Tuesday though I noticed she had been pooped on and her crest needed cleaning. So much to her dismay that meant I had to catch her. Bubba her Marans brother was out in the front yard with the other 2 when I caught her. Lil Bit shrieked and within 5 seconds he came charging head down and hackles raised to protect his sister. When he saw that I had her he came skidding to a stop and watched as I cleaned her head. When I was done and let her go she ran right to him and he led her back to the other 2.
View attachment 2868943View attachment 2868945View attachment 2868946
When your little it helps to have a larger body guard.
View attachment 2868948View attachment 2868950
My buddy Branch

View attachment 2868951

Aww they are all looking adorable! Sounds like Lil Bit and Bubba have such a cute dynamic. 🥰

So the third, of 5, silkies was crowing this morning. 😒🤣 I have only heard one of them crow one time at 6 weeks but he looks very much like a cockerel. Really hoping the last one is a 2nd hen! 🤞

Sounds like you've got your hands full with cockerels, I hope you do get that second hen! :fl

Congratulations on another little one! I hope it is doing alright despite the loud cheeping! :fl

It's my understanding that colors like black (and blue and splash since they are on a black base) are more dominant than partridge which I believe is recessive. If Chino or Char happen to be carrying one copy of it you could still get some partridge babies from them too though. 😊

Congratulations on the new baby! You've hatched so many paints! It's funny how sometimes they pass one color a lot more than another even when it should be 50/50. 😁

Aww they are all looking adorable! Sounds like Lil Bit and Bubba have such a cute dynamic. 🥰

Sounds like you've got your hands full with cockerels, I hope you do get that second hen! :fl
Your right, Bubba has the closest bond with Lil Bit. He is protective of them all but if he gets out of her sight she will call for him and he comes running. When he came charging around the house the other day to help her for a second I thought he was going to attempt to flog me. Luckily he came to his senses in time and knows I wont hurt her. Although he did stand right next to me talking to her as I cleaned her head. I treat the silkies like I do the rest of the flock and allow them to free range all day. Even though he is still young, I like the idea of a larger boy looking after them.

Back
Top Bottom