Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Put the babies in the playpen to give them some more space and this little one squeezed out to come see me!
She then fell asleep in my hand.😍
I never leave them unattended for exactly this reason!
9CE28AE4-3CB2-4259-8A71-919A17724D0E.jpeg
31792625-4957-4AEE-9EA4-A8BB47A337B4.jpeg
6FE2CD39-F5EC-4B85-9431-7612519F9A91.jpeg

Whew it's been a long day but all 15 chicks that were in lockdown hatched! 😁

I got 10 paints, 4 blacks, and a partridge (I guess my boy in that breeding group and at least one of the girls is carrying recessive partridge genetics). I'll have to get some pictures tomorrow once they've all fluffed up a bit more.

The hatch went pretty well. Three were somewhat badly malpositioned and things are still a bit touch and go with them. They are active and alert though so I'm hopeful. Their legs and feet were in such awkward positions it's taking more time for them to straighten out (one has toes curled badly enough he/she got some band aid boots to straighten them).

I got more faults in this group than I'm used to. Two have single combs, one has 6 toes on one foot, and another has both a single comb and 6 toes on one foot. It seems maybe dad is passing on a few unfavorable traits so I may choose not to use him much for future breeding. I'm hoping his nice type will help make up for it though in these chicks.

I have 6 more on day 17 due to hatch this weekend as well. 😊

I think I might have hatched my fist silkie! I'm pretty sure it's a mutt + silkie though. It'll only be a few days before I find out though! 😀View attachment 2872679
Aww congratulations on the little one!! 🥰
Put the babies in the playpen to give them some more space and this little one squeezed out to come see me!
She then fell asleep in my hand.😍
I never leave them unattended for exactly this reason!

View attachment 2872894View attachment 2872895View attachment 2872898

Aww what a little sweetie! They are all such cuties, I just love the pictures you get of them too (definitely better than mine)! 😂😍

I got 10 paints, 4 blacks, and a partridge (I guess my boy in that breeding group and at least one of the girls is carrying recessive partridge genetics). I'll have to get some pictures tomorrow once they've all fluffed up a bit more.

The hatch went pretty well. Three were somewhat badly malpositioned and things are still a bit touch and go with them. They are active and alert though so I'm hopeful. Their legs and feet were in such awkward positions it's taking more time for them to straighten out (one has toes curled badly enough he/she got some band aid boots to straighten them).

I got more faults in this group than I'm used to. Two have single combs, one has 6 toes on one foot, and another has both a single comb and 6 toes on one foot. It seems maybe dad is passing on a few unfavorable traits so I may choose not to use him much for future breeding. I'm hoping his nice type will help make up for it though in these chicks.

Aww what a little sweetie! They are all such cuties, I just love the pictures you get of them too (definitely better than mine)! 😂😍
100% hatch rate! Congrats! 🥰:wee:wee
Can't wait to see photos! 😍
Hope your little ones with the foot issues do alright. I find it pretty amazing how quickly they improve with the little tape shoes.
One of my pure silkie chicks has only 4 toes on each foot, very strange. Read that this can be partly due to incubation issues, but I have no idea really. I had some with 6 toes last Spring.
I love taking photos of the chicks! I lie on the ground and get on the chicks' level to get most of the photos, though getting back up again is not easy!🤣
I have more hatching this week-end as well, 6 silkies and 4 polkies as well as the 3 Astrid eggs Layla was brooding.
Interestingly, the one she kicked out of the nest box on the 4th day has already internally pipped, while the other two she sat on until day 9 seem to be a day or two behind.
Good luck with your hatch this week-end!😃

Congrats on the hatch!! 100% hatched is awesome! Can’t wait to see pictures! I do love the paint color, someday maybe! How hard is it to make silkied Cochins? I’ve seen those and they look so cool and I DO have a tiny bantam cochin boy :) would be fun to try hatching a few someday if they ever allow him to come near them haha.

Back
Top Bottom