Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
No new chicks yet from my 6 remaining eggs but hopefully soon as they are starting to pip, I'm sure I'll have some out by tomorrow. 😊

All 3 Astrid babies hatched last night/early this morning. These were the ones that were under Layla but moved to the incubator.
They are cute little fluffers.😊View attachment 2875224View attachment 2875225

Aww congratulations, they are adorable!!! 😍

You guys!! I just got my very first chicken egg!! :wee :wee:celebrate:celebrate

And I think it’s from a silkie! Thoughts? The size and color seems right? I found it in the pine shavings in the coop they don’t live in haha, but my cochins are too young and the Silkies are the oldest girls. I’m so eggcited!! 😁

Congratulations!!! It definitely looks like it could be a silkie egg to me as well. 😁
So, I have been trying to get a pair of pullets all year, I hatched eggs several times, and even picked up a few from tractor supply ALL BOYS. Re-homed them as gender became apparent. Now I have 4 6 month olds, I know one is a cockerel for sure and suspect another, one hen I think based of behavior and round crest, however at 6 months would a beardless hen have wattles? Only one is beardless and I assumed it's a male as well, but then I realized they're getting somewhat close to potential laying age. I need to take some good pictures. I'm just really hoping to have two girls!

At 6 months the wattles could definitely start coming in on a beardless hen as that age is getting close to laying age. 😊

I'm sure you'll get some good feedback here when you are able post the pictures too though! 😁

Black bird in the front of group shots is the possible pullet, 6 months old.

IMG_20211023_172724~2.jpg
IMG_20211023_172821~2.jpg
IMG_20211023_172945.jpg
IMG_20211023_173037.jpg
IMG_20211023_173021.jpg

This is the one we assume is a cockerel, he's from a different bloodline than the black ones, he's also 6 months old. He's the white one in the previous post group shots.
IMG_20211023_173207.jpg
IMG_20211023_173229.jpg

His crest is getting pretty spikey, but in all directions.
IMG_20211023_173248.jpg

But no hard feathers in the tail, it's very round, my daughter named him Puff Ball 😆 Body posture is very low but, he's on the top of the pecking order for sure.

This is the one we assume is a cockerel, he's from a different bloodline than the black ones, he's also 6 months old. He's the white one in the previous post group shots.
View attachment 2876112View attachment 2876113
His crest is getting pretty spikey, but in all directions.
View attachment 2876114

But no hard feathers in the tail, it's very round, my daughter named him Puff Ball 😆 Body posture is very low but, he's on the top of the pecking order for sure.
Interesting, I would say the white one looks to be your girl for sure and the black ones are more iffy but I still would guess pullets 😆 I am not the expert though—I will wait to see what the others say! They’re very pretty though!

Interesting, I would say the white one looks to be your girl for sure and the black ones are more iffy but I still would guess pullets 😆 I am not the expert though—I will wait to see what the others say! They’re very pretty though!
Lol! They really are hard to sex aren't they? I may have to break down and do DNA testing if they don't crow or lay something soon!

I need to get better shots of the other two, they are the most skittish and didn't want to cooperate today. I'll try again tomorrow. However this is a close up of the one I assumed was a cockerel as well because of the wattles, also 6 months old.
View attachment 2876121
It's the one in the back. It has a super flat comb.

I actually think you may have gotten lucky and got three girls there. 😊

The bearded blacks comb is a littler bigger but I'm not seeing any obvious streamers on any of them which should be pretty prevalent by 6 months old on a male.

They are all very cute! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom