Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
After It quit raining, Nathaniel was missing so we were looking for him but instead found Cuddles (my bantam Phoenix pullet) sitting on 17 eggs under our house, some of which I think my silkies might have laid! I have seen her out a lot during the day though, so I'm not sure if someone else was sitting on them too? I wanted to let her keep them under the house but my mom said no. :(
Probably for the better, but still... :hmm

Here are the 11 that were good and went in the bator.
IMG_20211025_201230621.jpg

I am just praying if they are for the silkie boys to be the dad's! 🙏🙏

My remaining 6 eggs all hatched yesterday, 4 paints and 2 blacks. 😁

No single combs or extra toes this time either so I'm happy about that. I keep hoping to get wowed by some great spots but no luck yet, their spots aren't too bad either though. :)

Sorry the pictures aren't very good, they were getting a bit cold being out from under the heat so I tried to make it a really quick few photos. 😅

10-24 chicks 1.jpg

10-24 chicks 2.jpg
10-24 chicks 3.jpg

Another mis-aligned beak chick in the same hatch!! I saw it being trampled and pecked by another hen then noticed beak is not lined up, could this hen cause crossbeak in my 2 chicks!? Mother hen didn't fight back, she is now one I won't allow to hatch more or in future will have to stay separate till chicks can care for themselves.
Oh no I'm so sorry! 😟

I think is is more often genetic but I have heard it can be caused by injury so it might be possible? I'd guess more likely genetic/incubation related like @LadiesAndJane mentioned though.

This week-end hatched 9/10.
6 Silkies, 3 Polkies. 2 black silkies this time.😊
One of the paint Silkies has a lot of black markings already.
One of the black Polkies has some white down on the crest. Wonder if they will feather in white there, too. Throw back to Polish grandma!😊View attachment 2877597View attachment 2877599View attachment 2877598View attachment 2877596

Aww congratulations on a great hatch, they are so adorable!!! 😍

Those spots on that last one.....with how hard it is to get the big spots on paints I don't think I could make myself give one like that up! ❤️

I love the little black with the white in the crest too! I get those sometimes with my black from paint babies but they always feather in black. That would be really neat if the polish influence caused that one to have some white in the crest though! 🥰

My remaining 6 eggs all hatched yesterday, 4 paints and 2 blacks. 😁

No single combs or extra toes this time either so I'm happy about that. I keep hoping to get wowed by some great spots but no luck yet, their spots aren't too bad either though. :)

Sorry the pictures aren't very good, they were getting a bit cold being out from under the heat so I tried to make it a really quick few photos. 😅

View attachment 2878228
View attachment 2878230View attachment 2878231

Oh no I'm so sorry! 😟

I think is is more often genetic but I have heard it can be caused by injury so it might be possible? I'd guess more likely genetic/incubation related like @LadiesAndJane mentioned though.

Aww congratulations on a great hatch, they are so adorable!!! 😍

Those spots on that last one.....with how hard it is to get the big spots on paints I don't think I could make myself give one like that up! ❤️

I love the little black with the white in the crest too! I get those sometimes with my black from paint babies but they always feather in black. That would be really neat if the polish influence caused that one to have some white in the crest though! 🥰
Congrats on your hatch! Little cuties! 😍Yes, I’ve decided I’m probably keeping the little multi spotted paint…Don’t tell anybody in my family though!🤣 I wasn’t supposed to keep any of them…
This little one has good feet with good toe spacing, 5 toes on each foot and second toe feathering as well, so no reason not to keep her right? 😬 Probably also going to keep the Polkie with the white feathers. She also has good feet with second toe feathering, Should be able to tell in a few days whether she will have satin or silkied feathers. My daughter already named “her” Halo.
She said we should take photos of them every day and see how they develop color wise. So here’s today’s photos of the two “stars”! 🤣
Eko didn’t have many spots at hatch either but he certainly developed quite a few later on. They remind me of dalmatian dogs the way the spots develop😍
6BDD852D-5FA8-48CF-9171-9C1755AC7F0E.jpeg
D4E20990-7139-4988-8767-B8F6DD26C476.jpeg
F367DD6A-8B5E-4FC3-A717-F373ACDE4C26.jpeg

Congrats on your hatch! Little cuties! 😍Yes, I’ve decided I’m probably keeping the little multi spotted paint…Don’t tell anybody in my family though!🤣 I wasn’t supposed to keep any of them…
This little one has good feet with good toe spacing, 5 toes on each foot and second toe feathering as well, so no reason not to keep her right? 😬 Probably also going to keep the Polkie with the white feathers. She also has good feet with second toe feathering, Should be able to tell in a few days whether she will have satin or silkied feathers. My daughter already named “her” Halo.
She said we should take photos of them every day and see how they develop color wise. So here’s today’s photos of the two “stars”! 🤣
Eko didn’t have many spots at hatch either but he certainly developed quite a few later on. They remind me of dalmatian dogs the way the spots develop😍
View attachment 2878319View attachment 2878320View attachment 2878321

Thank you!

That is wonderful you'll probably keep those two, they are both so adorable!!! 😍

I'd be ecstatic hatching a little paint with spots as nice as that little ones. Hopefully they translate into her being a real stunner color wise later on! 🥰

It is really neat watching little paints get more and more spots over time, I agree it reminds me of how a dalmatian gets their spots too. My best spotted babies had decent spots at hatch but I've heard from plenty of breeders that isn't always the case and they've had very well marked paints hatch with very small spots sometimes.

I bet it'll be lots of fun watching those two mature, I love your daughters idea of daily pictures! Also what a cute name for the little Polkie! 😁

View attachment 2878319View attachment 2878320View attachment 2878321
If I hatched cute fluffies like those I couldn't resist keeping them! :love..all!

I keep most of the ones I hatch and did the separate coop thing last year for roosters that I didn't sell and pullets to be sold that I weren't happy with (e.g. red comb). I am thinking of buying fertile eggs to add different genetics though I want to know behaviour and health background before buying.

Back
Top Bottom