Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I'm not very experienced, but I would encourage her to get off/take her off and supervise if she eats and drinks and poops and go on with this for two days always observing closely if those following two days she starts coming off to eat, drink (and dustbath) and to dump somewhere those epic broody poops by her own motivation. As a first time broody perhaps she still needs to figure out about her own needs. If after two days she still decides to sit like nailed down I would break her broodiness this first time, because I figure not drinking and not pooping could lead to big problems fast.

Yeah sadly it is possible. A friend of mine lost a very sweet hen (bantam Brahma mix) I loved very much because of this 😞

That's great news that your little girl is so much better ❤️
Hopefully it is just the excitement of exploring their new home and the new situation that causes the watery poops🤞
🥰 How cute - are the little red wattles a clear sign?

Hi! 😍 Yes - pictures please!

Such cute girls :love

What - sweet little Raven is a bully :th
How does precious Thor like being outside with the flock? Does she play with her siblings?
My polkie has red, but he wattles are staying flat.. and she's got the prettiest updo. But given how young the polish is, little hanging wattles probably indicates male.. but im also counting the wacko crest... but i paid enough money for the tolbunts that im waiting out for a crow! 😂

Several weeks ago my mom and I coincidentally saw a broadcast on NHK 1 about Silkies in Japan. There were some interesting things included. I found a link where it can be watched, if someone is interwested:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2054131/
I hope it is allowed to post such a link here - if not please tell me.
When the reporter went to the Silkie farm my mom and I expected some nice free range areas and a bunch of Silkies running happily around - but nope, we were 'surprised' by Silkies in batterys :( (so if someone doesn't want to see this quit when the reporter arrives at the farm, before are interesting things about Silkie eggs). At one point Silkie recipes start, just saying, but it is towards the end.

Several weeks ago my mom and I coincidentally saw a broadcast on NHK 1 about Silkies in Japan. There were some interesting things included. I found a link where it can be watched, if someone is interwested:
When the reporter went to the Silkie farm my mom and I expected some nice free range areas and a bunch of Silkies running happily around - but nope, we were 'surprised' by Silkies in batterys :( (so if someone doesn't want to see this quit when the reporter arrives at the farm, before are interesting things about Silkie eggs). At one point Silkie recipes start, just saying, but it is towards the end.
I'm about to click the link, but i know silkie "dark" meat is the preferred type to eat in Asia. And they aren't bantams. I guess similarly raised as our poor meat birds that can't walk.

What - sweet little Raven is a bully :th
How does precious Thor like being outside with the flock? Does she play with her siblings?
Yeah. She's quite grumpy, sweet to people though. She'll chase and peck anyone in her way.
Thor isn't blending with the flock like I hoped. She gets scared and runs off (or pecks) any chickens she sees. Loki tries to peck her

🤯 $2-6 Per silkie egg!!! I think their setup is much nicer than our chickens get.

Just finished the video... now i want to add paprika to the chicken feed 😆

Last edited:
Yeah. She's quite grumpy, sweet to people though. She'll chase and peck anyone in her way.
Thor isn't blending with the flock like I hoped. She gets scared and runs off (or pecks) any chickens she sees. Loki tries to peck her
Perhaps Thor needs a bit more time 🤗 Probably it is all a bit overwhelming and so many new impressions at once!

🤯 $2-6 Per silkie egg!!! I think their setup is much nicer than our chickens get.

Just finished the video... now i want to add paprika to the chicken feed 😆
Yeah the Silkie eggs are are mostly sold as gifts!
The setup is clean and airy and the Silkies are clean and I fully agree, it is not compareable to those horrible batterys for example here in Europe. But one just doesn't expect Silkies to be kept like this...and crammed together in such little space...well, my mom and I where kind of brought down to earth and I was kind of sad after seeing it.

Can she be a house chicken? Some chickens do people better.
Not sure if my parents would approve. She's allowed to stay for a few more weeks though. She's 11wks old.
I'll try integrate her but if it doesn't work I'll save up for something like a small omlet coop and buy Thor a friend. Hopefully it won't come to that

I saw your post about the hardware cloth.
Make sure you put a hardware cloth apron or skirt about 1 foot out from your coop and run. It is easy to keep flat on the ground with 6 inch landscaping staples. Expensive but so worth it.🙂
Thank you @LadiesAndJane this was helpful. Just placed my order for hardware cloth, and wouldn't have known about the staples!! Should be here this week... hopefully before the CHICKENS dig their way OUT 🤣 Stinkers!!

Not sure if my parents would approve. She's allowed to stay for a few more weeks though. She's 11wks old.
I'll try integrate her but if it doesn't work I'll save up for something like a small omlet coop and buy Thor a friend. Hopefully it won't come to that
I missed this before. Once she is closer in physical size to them, I'd put her right next to the others, but in her own secure portion. Look don't touch for a week or two. Then everything should be fine. Elsa had me worried about being so mean to Esmeralda.. now she just ruffles her feathers and gives dirty looks. They can all live with that!

Back
Top Bottom