Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
What do you guys think of integrating the chicks sooner rather than later?

They are 7 weeks old now, the silkies are teeenie tiny.. polish are approaching the size of the D'uccles. I would of course remove Elsa, so it would just be minnie and daisy, the 2 D'uccles.. who are very mellow, and Esmeralda, who tries to peck me when she's upset...and it feels like someone took a cotton swab to my hand. I was thinking of maybe starting look but don't touch this Thursday, once our day of rain passes.

Think the silkies need more time to grow, or will they be fine? Temps will be around 40 at night (i cover them with a couple blankets) and 60s during the day. Cloudy mornings, sunny late afternoons.

Chirp. One of my original 3 "hens".
all were boys! 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121_184853_com.snapchat.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121_184853_com.snapchat.android.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 2
wow...in a week, I've missed 20 pages. Ugh. Don't think I will catch up.... Just wanted to say that I did advertise my two Silkie roos on Craigslist. I got one person who reached out and said she was interested in them as therapy pets. Sounds great, right? Except that I've reached back out to her no less than 4 times and she has ghosted me. This has been my experience on CL more times that I care to count... *sad* I told DH that it looks like we are just going to have to cull these two beautiful boys. No one is interested in them and I need the brooder for the new chicks that will hatch on 1/26. We are about to enter lockdown soon... :( I swear this is the worst part about raising chickens. :hit

wow...in a week, I've missed 20 pages. Ugh. Don't think I will catch up.... Just wanted to say that I did advertise my two Silkie roos on Craigslist. I got one person who reached out and said she was interested in them as therapy pets. Sounds great, right? Except that I've reached back out to her no less than 4 times and she has ghosted me. This has been my experience on CL more times that I care to count... *sad* I told DH that it looks like we are just going to have to cull these two beautiful boys. No one is interested in them and I need the brooder for the new chicks that will hatch on 1/26. We are about to enter lockdown soon... :( I swear this is the worst part about raising chickens. :hit
Im so sorry :hugs just make things as humane as possible.. perhaps cull at night while they are sleepy. Have you tried mewe? A lot of pet sales/rehoming have moved there with the difficulties of listing on facebook and Craigslist. Can you also reach out to your local animal shelter? I have seen horses, pigs, rabbits, peacocks!! And that's in the city!

So pretty, look at that comb!!! Are you able to keep your "hens"?
Haha yes. He's turning 2 this spring. To be honest I wanted to re-home them this year but after this boy protected hus girls from a fox I decided to keep him. And he is really bonded with his brothers so it would not be fair to only keep him🤣

Haha yes. He's turning 2 this spring. To be honest I wanted to re-home them this year but after this boy protected hus girls from a fox I decided to keep him. And he is really bonded with his brothers so it would not be fair to only keep him🤣
Oh yes, he definitely sounds like a keeper, especially if there is peace amongst them. Im kind of excited about having my first "legal" roo!!

Oh yes, he definitely sounds like a keeper, especially if there is peace amongst them. Im kind of excited about having my first "legal" roo!!
Congrats! 🤣 He is. They do occasionally fight but it's gentle.... But one of them (Teddy) hates my Wyandotte rooster. And he wasn't kind to him😬

Attachments

• Snapchat-1614237096.jpg
    Snapchat-1614237096.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Snapchat-23828978.jpg
    Snapchat-23828978.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Snapchat-899463041.jpg
    Snapchat-899463041.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom