Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 780 95.9%
  • ^

Votes: 94 11.6%

• Total voters
Hi everyone I'm new to chickens but I have always wanted silkies and for mother's day my husband got me 5 white cotton balls as my kids call them. I have read it takes a while to be able to sex silkies. They were born around Easter the lady told me so looking at about 5 weeks old. My question is about what age will I start to be able to tell what I have. As of right now I literally can't tell them apart 😂

Hi everyone I'm new to chickens but I have always wanted silkies and for mother's day my husband got me 5 white cotton balls as my kids call them. I have read it takes a while to be able to sex silkies. They were born around Easter the lady told me so looking at about 5 weeks old. My question is about what age will I start to be able to tell what I have. As of right now I literally can't tell them apart 😂
Welcome! Like you said it can be really hard to sex silkies and some you just have to wait for a crow or an egg. Right now it will be too early to tell but you can really start to see around 3 to 4 months old. That's when the cockerel and pullets differences are showing. We would love to see pics of the cottonballs!

Welcome! Like you said it can be really hard to sex silkies and some you just have to wait for a crow or an egg. Right now it will be too early to tell but you can really start to see around 3 to 4 months old. That's when the cockerel and pullets differences are showing. We would love to see pics of the cottonballs!
I will happily share pictures. I have some Easter egger chicks and it's crazy how much bigger they are then the silkies and they are all so close in age. They are in a smaller/baby run for now till they are a bit bigger then they will get to enjoy being free range babies.

Attachments

• 20220522_142903_HDR_(1).jpg
    20220522_142903_HDR_(1).jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220522_142836_HDR_(1).jpg
    20220522_142836_HDR_(1).jpg
    524 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220522_142806_HDR_(1).jpg
    20220522_142806_HDR_(1).jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220522_142734_HDR_(1).jpg
    20220522_142734_HDR_(1).jpg
    968.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220521_090626.jpg
    20220521_090626.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220520_194643_HDR_(1).jpg
    20220520_194643_HDR_(1).jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220522_142800_HDR.jpg
    20220522_142800_HDR.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 1
I will happily share pictures. I have some Easter egger chicks and it's crazy how much bigger they are then the silkies and they are all so close in age. They are in a smaller/baby run for now till they are a bit bigger then they will get to enjoy being free range babies.
Im voting girl on that last one! 🎀

Cute lil cotton balls for sure!
Welcome to the wonderful world of silkies!

Chicks :D Probably either white or buff, maybe black. I'm very, very excited!
Oh you will luv em!!! Just work with em a lot and let them come to U and you'll have the sweetest pets there are!!!
Then get ya some d'uccles! Lolol!!! Massive personality those tiny babies have!

So yall..I'm wishy washy I know. But I figure yall will understand better than most.

I've been in luv with the porcelain Satin ever since I laid eyes on her! Hardly any out there even exist as this is one that major breeders have been working towards along with mille fleur Satins too. So I shared my wild hair-brained idea...yeah here I go again!
I do not have the capability, experience, nor the understanding to even begin to figure out how to do this project breed on my own! In just a few weeks of even trying to learn, much less grasp any of the genetics I have managed to make myself pretty miserable when it comes to my babies.
That is the EXACT OPPOSITE reason of why I got them in the first place! I hate that I even went down this path! I hate that I have re-homed several of those I loved because they weren't the right color for this project!
I don't regret the d'uccles one second! They are the only positive that came out of this learning experience at all!
So thanks for listening to me! Thank you for putting up with me n my hair-brained ideas!
Here's to going back to just enjoying em as they are! And if one of those gorgeous porcelain Satins ever becomes available I'll just buy one - already done!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom