Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
None of mine are 'evil orange' are they? 😊 So far my 3 orange ones look like pullets.. (I have posted these pics before but trying to work out if any are possible girls)
View attachment 3126234View attachment 3126235View attachment 3126237View attachment 3126239View attachment 3126240

Bluey is slightly lighter orange..

View attachment 3126241View attachment 3126242

As partridge I'd immediately say boy on those colors. All my pullets showed brown by the time their crests were that size.

Now partridge pullets carrying 2 copies of lavender do look a little orange except for the grey crests.

hawthorn_perch_by_seerisil_db63m2n-414w-2x.jpg

This is blue cream.
christmas_2021_by_seerisil_dev9qx6-414w-2x.jpg

Blue partridge
kisses_by_seerisil_db4oj2n-414w-2x.jpg

Blue partridge on left. Normal partridge on other 2
three_chinese_hens_by_seerisil_dbwcleb-414w-2x.jpg

Pile of tribbles, all sexes. Male orange is very obvious. The males who will have good color only have orange around head and neck.

where_s_the_quadrotriticale__by_seerisil_dbdgh68-414w-2x.jpg

This was my orange rooster.
pumpkin_the_silkie_by_seerisil_d7mup8y-414w-2x.jpg

I need silkie roo advice. So Barney has been mating, humorously, for a few weeks now.. but i think he's getting to be too rough. He will grab their neck feathers and pull, even as they are running away or screaming. Now he's showing his hackles and fighting them into submission... so, i haven't had a mature roo before, but just want feedback to confirm this sounds too aggressive. Is this just a typical young roo behavior, or not a good overall sign?
Yeah that’s pretty aggressive! Sounds like he’s responding to their lack of cooperation and submission as a sign he needs to fight them into submission like he does with boys that challenge him. Hasn’t quite figured out the ladies are different than the boys! I’ve had very sloppy boys, very oversexed boys, and even a very young over eager boy…and none have ever responded to the rejection that way. Sounds like Barney could have used some role models 😆 I’d give him a bit more time to figure things out but I’d be watching him like a hawk for increasing aggression and injuries. My huge Orpington rooster tried mating the silkies heads for at least 3 weeks before he learned that didn’t work and they don’t stay put 😆

Well, the 4-H poultry show started about a half hour late…at 10:30 and the judge had to quit chicken judging at 3:30 to start showmanship which didn’t end until 10:30 pm! So he’s coming back in the morning to finish, he got all the chickens done except the feather legged bantam pullets. So we still don’t know what place Sia and Cher will get! 😩 Cher was such a trooper today though!! So very patient and easy going. She was taken out of her pen about 30 times today, pet and held by strangers, carted around the chicken area, then did showmanship, and then more petting requests. Was a super fun day but I’m EXHAUSTED 🥱 And for her first time showing ever, I thought she did well! No ribbons, but more involved than I expected. Such good experience for her!

Attachments

• EF6DC8B6-148C-4E63-B655-447758796A53.jpeg
    EF6DC8B6-148C-4E63-B655-447758796A53.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 5C9BF030-F406-4E40-8EC1-6722512C7B46.jpeg
    5C9BF030-F406-4E40-8EC1-6722512C7B46.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 6D5D80F1-74EB-46D4-AFA9-FF81CABD9EFA.jpeg
    6D5D80F1-74EB-46D4-AFA9-FF81CABD9EFA.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 1
Well, the 4-H poultry show started about a half hour late…at 10:30 and the judge had to quit chicken judging at 3:30 to start showmanship which didn’t end until 10:30 pm! So he’s coming back in the morning to finish, he got all the chickens done except the feather legged bantam pullets. So we still don’t know what place Sia and Cher will get! 😩 Cher was such a trooper today though!! So very patient and easy going. She was taken out of her pen about 30 times today, pet and held by strangers, carted around the chicken area, then did showmanship, and then more petting requests. Was a super fun day but I’m EXHAUSTED 🥱 And for her first time showing ever, I thought she did well! No ribbons, but more involved than I expected. Such good experience for her!

great experience for the little human beauty of yours!

I need silkie roo advice. So Barney has been mating, humorously, for a few weeks now.. but i think he's getting to be too rough. He will grab their neck feathers and pull, even as they are running away or screaming. Now he's showing his hackles and fighting them into submission... so, i haven't had a mature roo before, but just want feedback to confirm this sounds too aggressive. Is this just a typical young roo behavior, or not a good overall sign?

he is young with hormones kicking hard. I had roos who improved when got older. I hope barney will improve too.

Keep losing this thread! My silkies are all doing well. Pippin and Dally (polkie) are broody and I promised Pippin that she would get the chicks if my eggs hatched. Blue is molting I think, her feathers are whitish and I can just gently pull them out. Fries is doing well too. Raven is showing MG symptoms, I knew she had it, but she isn't in pain and none of my other chickens are showing signs of it. I read that virtually every flock will have MG, they just don't have symptoms. Therefore I'll be continuing as normal with my flock. But good news with Raven, her beard is growing back!

As partridge I'd immediately say boy on those colors. All my pullets showed brown by the time their crests were that size.

Now partridge pullets carrying 2 copies of lavender do look a little orange except for the grey crests.

View attachment 3126386

This is blue cream.
View attachment 3126379

Blue partridge
View attachment 3126390

Blue partridge on left. Normal partridge on other 2
View attachment 3126396

Pile of tribbles, all sexes. Male orange is very obvious. The males who will have good color only have orange around head and neck.

View attachment 3126397

This was my orange rooster.
View attachment 3126381
Luv the colors!!!

Awe what an experience! Good luck this morning!!!

None of mine are 'evil orange' are they? 😊 So far my 3 orange ones look like pullets.. (I have posted these pics before but trying to work out if any are possible girls)
View attachment 3126234View attachment 3126235View attachment 3126237View attachment 3126239View attachment 3126240

Bluey is slightly lighter orange..

View attachment 3126241View attachment 3126242

Needed to add to the other post.

My color advice is strictly for pure partridge breeding. Mix in other colors and anything goes. Have to fall back on looking for streamers and looking at wattles and comb.

I had a cockerel once who did not start to develop secondary sex characteristics until he was well over 6 months old. His color said male but he looked very female.

Back
Top Bottom