Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Here he is: My baby Bootleg!
Bootleg!!.jpg

What is the connection between this and their feed?

Feathers are protein. Feather picking can be a sign of too little in the diet. I asked around because they were all getting rather bare on the back ends. I put them on Flockraiser after than and they quit pulling feathers to eat with 2 weeks.

Only feather picking I have now is the overgrooming of beards the large fowl do on the dominant birds.

Feathers are protein. Feather picking can be a sign of too little in the diet. I asked around because they were all getting rather bare on the back ends. I put them on Flockraiser after than and they quit pulling feathers to eat with 2 weeks.

Only feather picking I have now is the overgrooming of beards the large fowl do on the dominant birds.
Very good to know - thank you!
Mine aren't plucking them out and eating them...so I think they were more or less playing with one they found.

So you more knowledgeable ones that know I struggle to understand all the coloring of these babies...could ya help a gamma out?!
Recessive white...when Daisy was born that's what yall thought she prob was.
What is Recessive white?
How does it differ from white?
Does it just mean her babies could throw any color except pure white?
Here she is as baby vs now...gorgeous Satin girlee! This is a poor pic of her now cuz she is white as snow all over!View attachment 3164969

Recessive white requires 2 copies of the gene to show up. It covers all other color. There is no leakage on Recessive white like there can be with dominant white. White silkies are supposed to be silver based recessive white. That is the original silkie color. If the white is gold based, you can get some barely there yellowing on the edges of feathers

Recessive white requires 2 copies of the gene to show up. It covers all other color. There is no leakage on Recessive white like there can be with dominant white. White silkies are supposed to be silver based recessive white. That is the original silkie color. If the white is gold based, you can get some barely there yellowing on the edges of feathers
Awesome thank you!

I read a thread on BYC regarding taking pics of your chickens and how to work with em...yeah first time not as bad as I've had in the past lol!
Daisy and Gabbie ...the d'uccles go nuts for sesame seeds and kept stealing rm before poor Daisy could find em in the hammock beach chair!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-143953_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-143953_Instagram.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 2
If it ain't one thing it's another... Found one of my silkie mix girls with a broken toe.. She's in a private hospital room (dog crate) vet wrapped, and will be there approximately 10 days. Had to redo the wrap 3 times but she's settled down now, drinking water and eating. I want to put her with one of the blue splash silkies I was given... hopefully there's a boy in the crowd. Doing my best to keep that center toe immobilized.. it now has been wrapped individually with vet wrap (first wrap) then popcicle stick on the outside and more wrap, including the area above the foot to keep it stuck.
DSC_0074.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG

Back
Top Bottom