Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 781 95.9%
  • ^

Votes: 94 11.5%

• Total voters
If it ain't one thing it's another... Found one of my silkie mix girls with a broken toe.. She's in a private hospital room (dog crate) vet wrapped, and will be there approximately 10 days. Had to redo the wrap 3 times but she's settled down now, drinking water and eating. I want to put her with one of the blue splash silkies I was given... hopefully there's a boy in the crowd. Doing my best to keep that center toe immobilized.. it now has been wrapped individually with vet wrap (first wrap) then popcicle stick on the outside and more wrap, including the area above the foot to keep it stuck.View attachment 3165518View attachment 3165521
How'd she do that?!

Recessive white requires 2 copies of the gene to show up. It covers all other color. There is no leakage on Recessive white like there can be with dominant white. White silkies are supposed to be silver based recessive white. That is the original silkie color. If the white is gold based, you can get some barely there yellowing on the edges of feathewill
So will a gold based recessive white throw various coloured offspring with possible gold colour leakage? Depending who it's partnered with I guess.

So will a gold based recessive white throw various coloured offspring with possible gold colour leakage? Depending who it's partnered with I guess.

Depends on what color the bird is underneath. My white rooster is actually partridge underneath. So all of his offspring will be mixed of mated with anything other than partridge. Mated to partridge they will all carry white hiding in their genes and it can pop up later on when 2 birds carrying it mate. That's how I have a few white silkies. I'm not sure who all has white hiding. It only pops up very rarely.

Partridge is gold based. If it is silver based, that would be a gray silkie.

Mixing gold and silver gives sex linked coloring on chicks depending on parent. Gold rooster over silver hen will give gold daughters and silver sons.

I brought my melted white rooster out into the sunlight to show the yellow. He also gets sun and eats corn which can make it worse.

It's hot out and he was dust bathing in the shade so he's not very fluffy at the moment. He just kind of plopped along my arm as he's a sweetheart.

20220627_155217.jpg

I brought my melted white rooster out into the sunlight to show the yellow. He also gets sun and eats corn which can make it worse.

It's hot out and he was dust bathing in the shade so he's not very fluffy at the moment. He just kind of plopped along my arm as he's a sweetheart.

View attachment 3165788
He is adorable!!!:love

As long as I don't say his name, he comes up for treats and petting. He runs and hides if I say his name. I used to make him pose when he was young so I could practice taking pictures. He does so very well. Stands still for long amounts of time. Doesn't want to do it anymore and I always called for him before pictures.

Back
Top Bottom