Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Just curious, how many roosters do ya'll keep in one silkie pen or how many roosters per breeding project? Unfortunately I've realized that one of my roosters, Shadow, tends to pass on genes in his chicks such as 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other. This has happened in the past two hatches and I'm almost positive he's the one. If so I don't think I'll be able to keep him for breeding.😢

Just curious, how many roosters do ya'll keep in one silkie pen or how many roosters per breeding project? Unfortunately I've realized that one of my roosters, Shadow, tends to pass on genes in his chicks such as 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other. This has happened in the past two hatches and I'm almost positive he's the one. If so I don't think I'll be able to keep him for breeding.😢
I have 1 large coop. At the moment I have 23 Silkies... which includes 3 cockerels all 4 months old and 1 rooster about 2yrs old. The rest are hens and pullets. I am thinking to dispatch one of my boys that is skittish and also has an extra toe is don't want past on 🤔 Unfortunately he's from purchased eggs so I was hoping to use him for genetic diversity but don't know if I want to pass his traits on..

IMG_20220808_133944.jpg

The teenagers are still in the pen with Ashes. Ashes is very good at training them to be polite to hens. I need to figure out what to do with them in the next month.

I think the blue partridge who is turning out very nice will go in with Broly who is laid back but firm as well. Broly is also getting too old but is such a gentleman. I was surprised to get 3 blue partridge chicks because I thought the one elderly hen I had left stopped laying. Apparently not. Her son having no disqualifications and looking nice is a big deal for me on that.

I need to make a retirement villa for Broly, Ashes, and some of the old hens. They get along with each other and never fight when I let their pens out together. Their hens are another story.

They only chick I kept this year so far, little Kai who is seven weeks old now.
Was hoping she would feather in the lighter blue and she is feathering in nicely.
I was pretty sure she hatched out of Kana’s egg and now she’s starting to get a few brown feathers in her crest, so this makes sense. Wonder how much partridge will come through on her. She is the full sibling then to Kumori.
She is going to be a small bird and still hangs with her mama, Himawari.😊View attachment 3220737View attachment 3220736
Awe she's a cutie!!!

They are pullets...not laying hens yet.
The hens I had that I rehomed were not the colors I needed for the breeding project.
I already said I made a stupid mistake...
We have all made mistakes and have regrets. ❤️:hugs

I am hatching eggs right now from my Silkie cross, because as soon as I sold her I regretted it. Collected all the eggs I could find of hers in the fridge. Not even sure if I am keeping any of her chicks.🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom