Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Oh this is awesome!
I wish mine was on a flat surface but it's not. The one time I tried a small area of sand was awful.
Not sure if my climate, slope or what.
This is sloped too.. thats why i had to add the border on the outside of the gravel rock. The run is sitting on concrete blocks in the corners to level it out. Ill take another pic tomorrow so you can see the slope better.

@CSolis @chickengr @Hinotori

Should I not be raking the litter around? I rake it to try and spread the wet/dry to mix it up and help the wetter areas when I put down new shavings.
Luv the idea of stripping Christmas tree limbs and using! You don't think the needles would hurt their feet any?
Would love to do the stepping stones but cause the run is on a 30% slant and the litter gets raked around they would just end up covered I think.
Their feet aren't caked in mud...mostly just wet. I'm keeping new shavings down constantly on the worst areas then raking it each day and PRAYING the sun pops out some each day to give us a break!!!

I go to the pine forest and collect pine needles. it is the best bedding. after some time needles and chicken droppings become dirt that I use in my garden.

Chickens can eat the Christmas tree needles. It's a good preventative for parasites and intestinal worms. I've been giving some to my chickens for a little while now.😊
That’s good to know. There’s a big pine in my chicken run dropping needles all the time.

Esmeralda changed alliances today and decided to join the silkie BFFs, Bambina and Betty, on their post rain bug roundup 🐛🐞.

Bambina is still tiny as ever, no one year old size bump.
20221211_140211.jpg 20221211_140256.jpg

Here’s my half silkie girl. (Other half is Araucana) she loves to prove she is a silkie by going broody at least once every 6 weeks and is currently sitting in a cat tunnel to nest. She’s super fluffy and friendly. Also was a single child and an oops baby 😳 She makes these funny brrr sounds like her dad always did 😂
Edit: forgot to add she also lays blue eggs 🥰
C27859DD-EF5D-4948-B416-FF737DAD42BF.jpeg

112968F4-F988-4A8E-9612-890F47771993.jpeg
E15CE876-73F2-4041-AED9-3D68DB797C0D.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s my half silkie girl. (Other half is Araucana) she loves to prove she is a silkie by going broody at least once every 6 weeks and is currently sitting in a cat tunnel to nest. She’s super fluffy and friendly. Also was a single child and an oops baby 😳 She makes these funny brrr sounds like her dad always did 😂
Edit: forgot to add she also lays blue eggs 🥰
View attachment 3348532
View attachment 3348533View attachment 3348531
Omg i love her! And I would love a silkie ee mix! 😍

Back
Top Bottom