Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Oh My! The first two of I'm Blue Too (Calico splash x black) by Lil Running Bear (2 x partridge) have hatched! I'm so bambuzzled..
20230505_173838-1.jpg
:lau

I haven't personally seen the parents, but the person I got the eggs from keeps her silkies separate from her other breeds. She collected from a mixed color pen so I would get some variety of colors. She has white, black blue, partridge, grey silver, paint in that particular pen. When I showed her the babies she was amazed because even she has not hatched some of colors/patterns that I got. Sadly, I don't even get to keep these babies as I live in the city and can't keep poultry. This was practice for my own silkies when I move to the country in the next year or so :) 😀 I had only ever hatched my own indoor pet button quail before this. But when a friend asked if I might be able to hatch silkie chicks for her mother in law who has a farm, I jumped at the opportunity! After seeing these guys, I'm so in love and want to keep them all. Lol. Little number 4 is my miracle chick because he was born very weak and small. He couldn't lift his head, walk or even eat or drink. His legs were severely splayed, his neck and his feet were badly curled. Everyone told me he wouldn't survive but I refused to hear it. It took two days of me being awake every hour to make him drink electrolytes and nutidrench, vitamin e oil, crushed selenium and vitamin b12 tablets (I am surprised I didn't OD that little fella) for him to get strength to start drinking and eating a little mash on his own. When he got some strength for that I started on mini physio therapy, massaging his neck, legs and feet. I made him a brace to hold his little legs together and held him up to practice walking. And spent hours with him on a heating pad on my lap asleep, while I held his little toes out straight. It worked and he is now happy and healthy and making up for lost running around time. He's a bit smaller than the others but it catching up. My batch of eggs contained two blue eggs and he was one of them. The other was the black and chocolate brown mottled one. Breeder had one hen that was laying those blue tinted eggs and she was anxious to know what color they would be. I'm thinking they must have had different dads. Lol
Oh that sounds awful not being able to keep em all! That's sad!
You were definitely going to keep that one on the road to recovery! Whoa! That's a lot of stuff you had to do!!! Way to go!

I haven't personally seen the parents, but the person I got the eggs from keeps her silkies separate from her other breeds. She collected from a mixed color pen so I would get some variety of colors. She has white, black blue, partridge, grey silver, paint in that particular pen. When I showed her the babies she was amazed because even she has not hatched some of colors/patterns that I got. Sadly, I don't even get to keep these babies as I live in the city and can't keep poultry. This was practice for my own silkies when I move to the country in the next year or so :) 😀 I had only ever hatched my own indoor pet button quail before this. But when a friend asked if I might be able to hatch silkie chicks for her mother in law who has a farm, I jumped at the opportunity! After seeing these guys, I'm so in love and want to keep them all. Lol. Little number 4 is my miracle chick because he was born very weak and small. He couldn't lift his head, walk or even eat or drink. His legs were severely splayed, his neck and his feet were badly curled. Everyone told me he wouldn't survive but I refused to hear it. It took two days of me being awake every hour to make him drink electrolytes and nutidrench, vitamin e oil, crushed selenium and vitamin b12 tablets (I am surprised I didn't OD that little fella) for him to get strength to start drinking and eating a little mash on his own. When he got some strength for that I started on mini physio therapy, massaging his neck, legs and feet. I made him a brace to hold his little legs together and held him up to practice walking. And spent hours with him on a heating pad on my lap asleep, while I held his little toes out straight. It worked and he is now happy and healthy and making up for lost running around time. He's a bit smaller than the others but it catching up. My batch of eggs contained two blue eggs and he was one of them. The other was the black and chocolate brown mottled one. Breeder had one hen that was laying those blue tinted eggs and she was anxious to know what color they would be. I'm thinking they must have had different dads. Lol
You know... they were illegal in my previous city too.. and i just made them house chickens!! 🏡 🐥 🛋 📺 yes theyd sit on the sofa and watch tv too!

You know... they were illegal in my previous city too.. and i just made them house chickens!! 🏡 🐥 🛋 📺 yes theyd sit on the sofa and watch tv too!
I can see that happening (as I lie here in bed with my hand in the brooder on my night table because the babies are lined up for belly rubs!) I had no idea any type of chicken would be begging like little dogs to have nightly belly rubs before they will go to sleep! Lol

I can see that happening (as I lie here in bed with my hand in the brooder on my night table because the babies are lined up for belly rubs!) I had no idea any type of chicken would be begging like little dogs to have nightly belly rubs before they will go to sleep! Lol
I know exactly what you mean! Mine are all outside now, but the house raised chickens are just like a completely different breed than the outdoor raised ones. Here is my lap when i sit outside, it gets crowded!!

20230501_132357.jpg

I know exactly what you mean! Mine are all outside now, but the house raised chickens are just like a completely different breed than the outdoor raised ones. Here is my lap when i sit outside, it gets crowded!!

View attachment 3495688
Do they try to see who can climb to the top of ya....my d'uccle Chatty is always in my lap but.if someone else is too she's gotta be above em! She's been fighting one of my boys too! Lil turd

Back
Top Bottom