Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 810 96.1%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.5%

• Total voters
So I have a question. How many have fully adult roosters without spurs? I've always wondered if this is common in silkies.

I've only had spurs pop up rarely on my boys and they tend to be flattened and curl.
I am pretty sure my last rooster had them, because I seem to remember them being very pointy 😅
Current boys are young, but have little bumps now.

So I have a question. How many have fully adult roosters without spurs? I've always wondered if this is common in silkies.

I've only had spurs pop up rarely on my boys and they tend to be flattened and curl.
I'll check my guys at roosting time tonight. Lady I got them from warned me to keep them trimmed as they will grow into the legs when curled.

My rooster, Bootleg, does have spurs but they are more nubby at the ends.

Oh by the way, I haven't come to visit this thread in a while! I have an update from my little roostie, Bootleg... he's decided to take on a girlfriend! :gig
Here's a pic of him with Precious, his new little girly-friend: :love
Bootleg x Precious-Bella.jpg

Ashes who's going on 8 years old. That little spur bit he has on the left leg isn't really attached. It's more like a hen's spurs which don't have a core. I had a silver ameraucana hen that grew 1/2 inch spurs. Yes I know some breeds the hens grow real spurs.
20230520_194230.jpg
20230520_194256.jpg

Broly who has one spur. He's 7 years old. This reminded me it was time to check that thing. Was touching the leg so trimmed it.

20230520_193126.jpg

20230520_193204.jpg

Year old rooster. He has the most spur out of anyone else out there. Yes he has bad rear toe spacing. He's on the soup list. Most of the others don't have any spur.

20230520_192008.jpg

Ashes who's going on 8 years old. That little spur bit he has on the left leg isn't really attached. It's more like a hen's spurs which don't have a core. I had a silver ameraucana hen that grew 1/2 inch spurs. Yes I know some breeds the hens grow real spurs.
View attachment 3513139View attachment 3513157

Broly who has one spur. He's 7 years old. This reminded me it was time to check that thing. Was touching the leg so trimmed it.

View attachment 3513169
View attachment 3513164

Year old rooster. He has the most spur out of anyone else out there. Yes he has bad rear toe spacing. He's on the soup list. Most of the others don't have any spur.

View attachment 3513170
Soup list?? Oh no... let him be someone's pet...

I have a new enigma.. the last of I'm Blue Too and Lil Running Bear's chick hatched yesterday.. 3 out of 7 eggs made it.. but, one hatched a creamy color then went silverish as it dried, and back to light cream when fully dried.. Any idea what color it will be?

Back
Top Bottom