SILKIES ~ Updated pics on page17

Here's a more recent picture of one of my partridge silkies. I couldn't get the other one to stay still enough to snap a pic. I'll try again later.

11768_may2009_058.jpg

Elizabeth

I've been brooding my silkies with my standard breeds, but I have created a seperate coop for them. We have every predator imaginable around us, so I wanted them to have a safer spot. They get a long great with the bigger birds.

I love my silkies!! My 2 white ones are out in the coop already, and they're adorable puff balls. I can't tell you how much I've come to love them.

Sonja

Quote:
we live in predator land too...but my silkies will have to be in the same coop...should I find them a new home now or wait and see??? the link in my signature shows our coop set up...

I think your coop set up will work perfectly for everyone. I'd suggest putting hardware cloth around the bottom of the run though. If you do have snakes in the area you don't want the sneaking through the chicken wire. We put up 2"x4" welded wire fencing and covered that with chicken wire. The bantam coop just has chicken wire around it, but their fence borders my exisitng coop, dog run, and llama pasture.

Sonja

Quote:
Hubby won't do wire on the bottom...I've already brought it up a few times...
hmm.png

I think your coop is plenty big for all your chickens! I tend to agree about the extra precaution around the run. Just try to talk DH into it - explain that you don't need your children walking out to visit dead chickens! (Sorry, I don't know how to word that better.)

Silkies are fun birds to have. My DH had 2 as a child - a black one and a white one. They lived out in the coop with their polish, ducks and some other large barnyard type chicken. He said they did just fine - but the white one was never white just kinda yellowish. LOL! Dirt shows up better on white!
wink.png
But he said they were the best chickens he had! He is a big fan of silkies! If I lived closer I'd take them!
wink.png
But I think you should give it a whirl. They really are great birds!

Quote:
I would love to find a home that will be loving, but shipping them cross country isn't an option...
sad.png

Two of the eight that I just brought home are Silkies. I hadn't planned on getting Silkies; I thought they were too poofy and fancy. But when I saw them, I just couldn't resist. One is white, and the other is like a variegated grey.

None of the 8 (the others are 2 RIR, 2 Leghorns, and 2 Red Stars) are super social, yet. But, the Silkies are even less so. They don't socialize with the other girls, much less with humans. I feel bad for them. The other 6 will roost together on one of the beams beneath the coop, but not the Silkies. And the white one just hangs around, cheeping all of the time.

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom