Silkies week by week pictures

I can see what I think is puss. It’s a yellowish color inside the wound. He’s also kind of bobbing his head a bit.

Aww poor little guy. I've never dealt with dressing an open wound like that. I'd assume you'd need to flush it out/clean it then put something on it to help avoid further infection.

I have betadine on hand and a triple antibiotic ointment without painkillers. In your place I'd probably rinse it out, do a second rinse with watered down betadine and then pack the wound with the antibiotic ointment without pain killers. Some wounds might require antibiotics. If the wound didn't appear to be improving or looked worse the next day I'd probably bring him in to my vet (I'm lucky that I have someone who will see chickens nearby). I could be completely wrong in my approach though. :confused:

I see you already made another post seeking advice so I hope someone with more experience will be able to help! :fl

Aww poor little guy. I've never dealt with dressing an open wound like that. I'd assume you'd need to flush it out/clean it then put something on it to help avoid further infection.

I have betadine on hand and a triple antibiotic ointment without painkillers. In your place I'd probably rinse it out, do a second rinse with watered down betadine and then pack the wound with the antibiotic ointment without pain killers. Some wounds might require antibiotics. If the wound didn't appear to be improving or looked worse the next day I'd probably bring him in to my vet (I'm lucky that I have someone who will see chickens nearby). I could be completely wrong in my approach though. :confused:

I see you already made another post seeking advice so I hope someone with more experience will be able to help! :fl
Thank you. I’ll check on him in the morning and follow your advice. I do have bacitracin and a&e ointment. I’m picking up more gauze and tape tomorrow too. How will I know the ointment doesn’t have painkillers? I can pick up something else if needed.

I’m pretty sure one of the other chicks he was in with pecked at him after the wry neck started. Since I didn’t see this wound or any blood yesterday. He was in with a meat bird… could the meat bird have done it? I thought it was an aggressive 5 week old cockerel I have but I’m not so sure. The wound is pretty big. The meat bird isn’t aggressive but I guess any of them could be. I did notice the others picking on Snuggle after the wry neck started. Poor guy.

Thank you. I’ll check on him in the morning and follow your advice. I do have bacitracin and a&e ointment. I’m picking up more gauze and tape tomorrow too. How will I know the ointment doesn’t have painkillers? I can pick up something else if needed.

I’m pretty sure one of the other chicks he was in with pecked at him after the wry neck started. Since I didn’t see this wound or any blood yesterday. He was in with a meat bird… could the meat bird have done it? I thought it was an aggressive 5 week old cockerel I have but I’m not so sure. The wound is pretty big. The meat bird isn’t aggressive but I guess any of them could be. I did notice the others picking on Snuggle after the wry neck started. Poor guy.

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner! How is the little guy doing?

I think the ointment with painkillers usually state that they have them or mention pain relief so just avoid those. The bacitracin you have on hand alone might be fine though.

I guess it could really be any of the others he was with if you noticed them picking on him. I've never had any meat birds so don't have any insight there. :hmm

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner! How is the little guy doing?

I think the ointment with painkillers usually state that they have them or mention pain relief so just avoid those. The bacitracin you have on hand alone might be fine though.

I guess it could really be any of the others he was with if you noticed them picking on him. I've never had any meat birds so don't have any insight there. :hmm
I’m pretty sure it was the meat bird. He didn’t have the wound when the wry neck started. The meat bird gets put into a sectioned area, at night, in a brooder in the room the chicks are in. I noticed Snuggle trying to, well snuggle up to the meat bird. I think meaty took a chunk out of Snuggle through the fence. The other birds are all smaller than Snuggle, besides the silkies, and were just stressing him out by jumping on him. Either way Snuggle now has the whole brooder to himself. The meat bird is behind better fencing at night that he can’t reach through.

Snuggle is healing. I’ve been bandaging him and cleaning his wound every day. Sometimes twice a day. With his wry neck the bandage comes off easier. His wry neck isn’t getting better but I didn’t expect it to right away. He gets his meds three times a day and has actually been eating really well. I’ve seen him get around to his food bowl and eat by himself.

This is a picture of the wound from yesterday. I didn’t take one today because my husband did the bandage changes today.
8CEBE6BD-837E-4D4A-BCA6-E128336568E7.jpeg

I’ll be sure to get pictures of it tomorrow when I take his picture for the week. Probably won’t do a full body photo of him this week. He spends most of his time wrapped in a towel or lying down.

I’m pretty sure it was the meat bird. He didn’t have the wound when the wry neck started. The meat bird gets put into a sectioned area, at night, in a brooder in the room the chicks are in. I noticed Snuggle trying to, well snuggle up to the meat bird. I think meaty took a chunk out of Snuggle through the fence. The other birds are all smaller than Snuggle, besides the silkies, and were just stressing him out by jumping on him. Either way Snuggle now has the whole brooder to himself. The meat bird is behind better fencing at night that he can’t reach through.

Snuggle is healing. I’ve been bandaging him and cleaning his wound every day. Sometimes twice a day. With his wry neck the bandage comes off easier. His wry neck isn’t getting better but I didn’t expect it to right away. He gets his meds three times a day and has actually been eating really well. I’ve seen him get around to his food bowl and eat by himself.

This is a picture of the wound from yesterday. I didn’t take one today because my husband did the bandage changes today. View attachment 2663025

I’ll be sure to get pictures of it tomorrow when I take his picture for the week. Probably won’t do a full body photo of him this week. He spends most of his time wrapped in a towel or lying down.

That is already looking so much better! Sounds like he is getting great care! 🥰

I hope the wry neck symptoms start easing up soon. That is wonderful that he is still able to eat on his own. :)

Back
Top Bottom