Silkies with Bumblefoot

annierose

Chirping
Jun 22, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

I've got two silkies around 10 months old and looks like they have started to develop bumble foot, my grey one has one foot affected but bigger scab than on my brown silkie who has a scab on both feet. šŸ˜­šŸ˜­Photo attached

I went to the vets for my dog today and thought i'd ask about my chickens. They have recommended wash their feet, use malaseb shampoo (1:10ml) and leave it on for 7 minutes, then wash it off. Do this every second day for two weeks.
Here is the link: https://www.pethouse.com.au/malaseb-medicated-foam

I've decided to wash their feet in warm water with epson salt before the shampoo.

I'll keep you updated, let me know if if anyone has tried this. Advice is welcomed too.

1601455602293.jpeg

Hello, I am very sorry to hear this. I am so sorry but I have no solution to this. If your chicken are getting very weak and sick put them in the incubator.

I would like to know if that dog shampoo is effective to treat your chicken but my gut says no. Chicken form hard little puss cheeses that turn very hard. They don't react to infections like you or I or our dogs and cats. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...our-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics.47705/ is what I suspect will be your ultimate go to guide.

:pop

I hoping within the week i start to see it go down otherwise I'll head to the vets to get it removed. I don't think I have the confidence to remove it surgically.

I'm hoping I caught it early and this will make a difference

I hoping within the week i start to see it go down otherwise I'll head to the vets to get it removed. I don't think I have the confidence to remove it surgically.

I'm hoping I caught it early and this will make a difference
Sounds like a plan just please email that article to the vet. Mammals and Aves are both chordates but diverge thereafter. I had a hard time with that concept for my first round of chicken keeping when I experienced how their systems react to injury and infection. My vet will not see my chicken but provides me with anything I request for them. So I am the Chief Medical Officer for the flock.

Sounds like a plan just please email that article to the vet. Mammals and Aves are both chordates but diverge thereafter. I had a hard time with that concept for my first round of chicken keeping when I experienced how their systems react to injury and infection. My vet will not see my chicken but provides me with anything I request for them. So I am the Chief Medical Officer for the flock.

That article is very good, I'll save it and no doubt will be using it...
Fingers crossed!

whats the incubator?

The incubator is a warm machine where people usally keep eggs for hatching. But when chickens get really sick and cant move a lot, many people put chickens in the incubator. It helps chickens recover from things, but from injuries and stuff. If your chicken goes in a horrible state where it cant move a lot, Send it straight to the incubator.

The incubator is a warm machine where people usally keep eggs for hatching. But when chickens get really sick and cant move a lot, many people put chickens in the incubator. It helps chickens recover from things, but from injuries and stuff. If your chicken goes in a horrible state where it cant move a lot, Send it straight to the incubator.

If it comes to that then i have a dog crate and would be kept in our garage (v large) .
Do you think an incubator would still be necessary and is this dog crate okay to use? I'm just concerned it could be too dark. But that's what sick chicken need- darkness?

1601459737031.png

Unfortunatley, A dog cage will do nothing. A incubator is warm, at least 37.5 degree's celcius.
If you can get the dog cage 37.5 degree's celcius, It will work. But don't put your chicken in now, when its weak and cant move a lot the put it.

Back
Top Bottom