Silkies with Bumblefoot

annierose

Chirping
Jun 22, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

I've got two silkies around 10 months old and looks like they have started to develop bumble foot, my grey one has one foot affected but bigger scab than on my brown silkie who has a scab on both feet. 😭😭Photo attached

I went to the vets for my dog today and thought i'd ask about my chickens. They have recommended wash their feet, use malaseb shampoo (1:10ml) and leave it on for 7 minutes, then wash it off. Do this every second day for two weeks.
Here is the link: https://www.pethouse.com.au/malaseb-medicated-foam

I've decided to wash their feet in warm water with epson salt before the shampoo.

I'll keep you updated, let me know if if anyone has tried this. Advice is welcomed too.

1601455602293.jpeg

Hello, I am very sorry to hear this. I am so sorry but I have no solution to this. If your chicken are getting very weak and sick put them in the incubator.
Noooo! Adult chickens should not go in the incubator! Incubators are for hatching chicks only, not for warming adults! Putting an adult chicken in an incubator is way too hot for it and the chicken can die of overheating! A dog crate works, and the chicken can have a warm towel or blanket but does not need any other supplemental heating!

I would like to know if that dog shampoo is effective to treat your chicken but my gut says no. Chicken form hard little puss cheeses that turn very hard. They don't react to infections like you or I or our dogs and cats. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...our-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics.47705/ is what I suspect will be your ultimate go to guide.

:pop

I hoping within the week i start to see it go down otherwise I'll head to the vets to get it removed. I don't think I have the confidence to remove it surgically.

I'm hoping I caught it early and this will make a difference

I don't know about cages but basically make a area warm enough to reach 37.5 degree's celcius. If the dog cage can reach that tempurtature your good to go.
37.5 C (99.5 F) is way too hot for an adult chicken! These temps are only good for new hatched chicks! Please do not make your chicken's area that hot, it is very dangerous as chickens can overheat easily! The silkie does not need supplemental heating for bumblefoot, room temperature is perfect for it.

I hoping within the week i start to see it go down otherwise I'll head to the vets to get it removed. I don't think I have the confidence to remove it surgically.

I'm hoping I caught it early and this will make a difference
Sounds like a plan just please email that article to the vet. Mammals and Aves are both chordates but diverge thereafter. I had a hard time with that concept for my first round of chicken keeping when I experienced how their systems react to injury and infection. My vet will not see my chicken but provides me with anything I request for them. So I am the Chief Medical Officer for the flock.

Sounds like a plan just please email that article to the vet. Mammals and Aves are both chordates but diverge thereafter. I had a hard time with that concept for my first round of chicken keeping when I experienced how their systems react to injury and infection. My vet will not see my chicken but provides me with anything I request for them. So I am the Chief Medical Officer for the flock.

That article is very good, I'll save it and no doubt will be using it...
Fingers crossed!

Dog and cat crates have been fine for me with fully mature chicken for a clinical suite. I personally do not provide additional warmth but do bring my wards indoors to heal. An injured hen doesn't need flies getting in their wounds or the stress of the flock challenging their pecking order or for food resources. Happy Convalescing!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...but-a-deadly-injury.72277/#ams-comment-449015

Hi @chickenaskquestion Welcome To BYC!
I believe you may be on the wrong thread? Are you trying to help someone with hatching?
An incubator is used to hatch eggs. Once the chicks have hatched you remove the chicks from the incubator and place them in a brooder.
The OP of this thread has an adult chicken - she would not fit in an incubator and it would certainly be too warm for her too.

@annierose As for treating Bumblefoot there are several methods you can use.
Soaking the foot and removing the scab, pressing out the kernel is one way. Some people cut out the scab to remove the kernel.
Bumblefoot is usually a staph infection that has entered the foot through a cut/scratch or weak point of the foot.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/03/bumblefoot.html

Unless your chickens are very ill from Bumblefoot, then I would not separate them or even cage them. Treat the feet and put them back with the flock.
Thank you!

I would soak the foot. Dry it well. Apply the Salvon, then wrap. Next day, soak, then press on the scab and see if that is loose and the kernel will come out. If not, then apply the Salvon and wrap again, try the next day.

How are you trying to hold her for treatment? It can be stressful on some of them. Swaddling lightly in a towel and laying her down may help. I have a rooster that I work on his feet and I just hold him in my arm like a football with his head tucked under my arm most of the time when I do his feet, but he's used to a lot of handling.

Back
Top Bottom