Silkies with pink skin, beak and toes - Help!

Sarenadax

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2018
Hi BYC community! Hoping a few of you out there have some information for me.

Back when I started with Silkies in 2008 there were not nearly as many color variations and options on the market and I'm just getting back into the breed. I'm shocked at all the new variations and genetic discussions on how to get certain colors. Very informative! However, I have searched extensively and only found a few pretty old threads regarding silkie skin pigmentation. These generally mentioned toes being pink.

I hatched out 28 silkie eggs last week and have three (2 white one splash) that came out with all pink skin pigment to include a pinky-yellow beak and light pinkish gray feet. The breeder I bought my eggs from was really defensive about the chicks when I asked her if there was possibly a mix breed in her flock to produce so many pinkies. She said that's perfectly normal. Now I know an occasional pink toe happens, but the whole chick?

Does anyone have experience with this? I've heard sometimes they darken but I doubt they will ever have the characteristic black-dark gray skin of what I associate with Silkies. I want to start a breeding stock but don't want to keep chicks to breed later that might be carrying bad genes. I have a local feed store I could put an add up to find them good homes but also don't want to rehome a chick if this is normal. I'm looking to get the most typey, bearded with big topknots possible and don't want to breed and sell eggs to future buyers and call them potential show quality, but be lying because I'm passing along bad genes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

p.s please check out my facebook page for more details about me and my chicks. https://www.facebook.com/silkieJ/

Hi BYC community! Hoping a few of you out there have some information for me.

Back when I started with Silkies in 2008 there were not nearly as many color variations and options on the market and I'm just getting back into the breed. I'm shocked at all the new variations and genetic discussions on how to get certain colors. Very informative! However, I have searched extensively and only found a few pretty old threads regarding silkie skin pigmentation. These generally mentioned toes being pink.

I hatched out 28 silkie eggs last week and have three (2 white one splash) that came out with all pink skin pigment to include a pinky-yellow beak and light pinkish gray feet. The breeder I bought my eggs from was really defensive about the chicks when I asked her if there was possibly a mix breed in her flock to produce so many pinkies. She said that's perfectly normal. Now I know an occasional pink toe happens, but the whole chick?

Does anyone have experience with this? I've heard sometimes they darken but I doubt they will ever have the characteristic black-dark gray skin of what I associate with Silkies. I want to start a breeding stock but don't want to keep chicks to breed later that might be carrying bad genes. I have a local feed store I could put an add up to find them good homes but also don't want to rehome a chick if this is normal. I'm looking to get the most typey, bearded with big topknots possible and don't want to breed and sell eggs to future buyers and call them potential show quality, but be lying because I'm passing along bad genes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

p.s please check out my facebook page for more details about me and my chicks. https://www.facebook.com/silkieJ/
Wondering what happened with your pink chicks, did they darken up? I just had a shipped egg hatch pink skinned too. Breeder told me that it will darken, I know pigment holes can darken but like you mine has pink skin, feet and beak. Just curious.

Wondering what happened with your pink chicks, did they darken up? I just had a shipped egg hatch pink skinned too. Breeder told me that it will darken, I know pigment holes can darken but like you mine has pink skin, feet and beak. Just curious.
I have some silkie/D’Uccle mixes that were born with light skin and have darkened up some. I’ll try to get pics when I get home.

I have two Sizzles that are first generation (F1) and they have the Cochin light skin. The more you breed back to Silkies, the more Silkie traits you get. Perhaps yours are Cochins bred with Silkies, first generation. A picture would help a LOT!

Back
Top Bottom