Silkies: Yay or Nay?

She floofed out a bit. Is she partridge or a weird paint? Or neither? View attachment 2585774View attachment 2585778

Aww what a cutie! I agree probably some type of partridge or at least on a partridge base. Could end up more mixed color but will likely resemble some type of partridge. May be gold or silver based. I've also seen a couple that had this type of down that later looked columbian gray (partridge based but with other color restricting genetics involved).

That's so cool! I'm super excited to see how they all turn out. I'm guessing I have 2 splashes, 2 paints, 1 blue, 2 white, 1 black, and 1 partridge silkie. And then I also have 3 porcelain and 1 blue mille de fluers, and 1 casual black cochin that somehow snuck its way into the egg carton. There's only one egg left to hatch, hopefully it'll be out tonight! Not to brag (but yes to brag) I pulled those eggs through a power outage with only 5 losses that day, and all 15 left hatched. I even had to assist one today. PRETTY proud of myself (and the chickies of course).

They definitely could be pure. I raise paints and with paint over paint you get some homozygous dominant white which I often find hatch with pink skin. If it's a dominant white from paint breeding the skin will likely darken considerably in the next 6 weeks or so. As for the little black with the yellow belly I get those all the time from my paints too. :)
Took the words out of my mouth! Alot of my hatches from my paints are light skin at hatch. Then darken as they age.

My two silkie Roos started out with chipmunk stripes - one greyish and one buffish. This was the result. Local feed store chicks, but definitely silkies?
FA0B2828-3289-464A-8156-5D3E754484EF.jpeg

Attachments

• FB8A17F9-9F80-4F87-9DB4-89C1A943E1B1.jpeg
    FB8A17F9-9F80-4F87-9DB4-89C1A943E1B1.jpeg
    714.6 KB · Views: 13
My two silkie Roos started out with chipmunk stripes - one greyish and one buffish. This was the result. Local feed store chicks, but definitely silkies?
View attachment 2662956
Two Silkie mix’s. The face, comb, and wattles are the wrong colour. All Silkies have dark skin, and dark combs (often boys will have a dark red comb but not light). Sorry if you were meant to show these.

Back
Top Bottom