Silkies!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sylverfly, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    So these are the two silkies that were left at my house as chicks. Ones a white and the others a partridge, so I have concluded. So my question is how soon can you tell a hen from a rooster and what does everyone think I have, 2 hens, 2 roos, or one of each, if you can tell or even just want to wager a guess then please do. Also they have been living in my house for months now and the cage is becoming much too small for them, and its super cold here still, and I’m terrified about introducing them to my existing flock of standards, and I’m at a loss about what to do. So I guess if anyone could tell me if they know anyone looking for a couple of young silkies in Northeastern Michigan please let me know. Thanks everyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    girls.

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    The thing that helped me to tell was to look straight at the comb. The roosters appeared much larger than the hens. Otherwise I could not tell.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    [​IMG] if you were closer id take them in a heartbeat.

5. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Silkie experts (I'm not one) say that birds must be older than 16 weeks to even begin to tell. These birds don't appear to be that old yet. Best wishes!

6. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I think they're girls too, but you didn't say the ages. And yes you do have to be more careful about the cold with them, and about the standards pecking them. They have sweet expressions!

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Pullets

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Too young to be certain, but at the moment look pullet-ish. The first one is buff, not partridge. Silkies are no less cold tolerant than any other breed--if anything they handle it a bit better. They definitely can have a harder time in hot weather, though. I have never had any problems mixing silkies with large fowl--sometimes with individual birds, but the terrorists are always been small birds, not large ones.

9. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    The one is Partridge, notice the dark color on the face and dark flecks on the crest and flight feathers, she needs to grow into her color :)

their girls by the way

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I would trust sonoran on this - she always has the 411 on silkies.

ETA: I agree they are too young, I have a young roo that up until he mounted my hens you would have sworn he was a girl. Small comb, no tassles, very rounded crest. His tassles are just now growing in.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by