Silky Color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickity chick, May 26, 2019.

1. chickity chick

chickity chick In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2017
    I bought these two silkies thinking they were buff when they were aprox. 2 to 3 days old. They are not coloring up buff at all. They seem way to light and one has a pattern. They are pure bred and came from one of the big breeders that supply the feed stores. I just started raising silkies and I’m not familiar with the colors yet. The first one is clean cream the second is the same color but with a pattern.

Attached Files:

BrahmaMom1797 and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  2. BrahmaMom1797

BrahmaMom1797 Songster

May 18, 2017
    Hello!!! I think some buff silkies can rang from the darker tan coloring to having an almost buff splash effect. Their coloring looks so pretty I’m jealous :love(maybe they’ll look like the attached photo?)

Attached Files:

LynnaePB likes this.
  3. LynnaePB

LynnaePB Songster

Mar 30, 2019
    Eastern Tennessee
    I'm no expert on buffs, I have read up a little though.

I agree with BrahmaMom1797, the buffs can range in color. I've heard they are difficult to breed since it is difficult to get the color right, sort of a balancing act of trying to keep the skin dark but not introducing too much "smut" (darker feathers). The little one with the darker feathers in its wings likely has the smut I mentioned. I think some smut cropping up is pretty common in buffs (mostly seen in the wings and tails). A lot of smut is undesirable but if you are breeding I believe there are pairings you can do to reduce smut in the offspring. :)

4. SilkieLife

SilkieLife Chirping

Jun 3, 2019
    Oklahoma
    Would you call her a buff? 412_2501.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: