Silky roo what colour is this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happyhenz, Aug 21, 2007.

1. aran

aran Songster

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    guys do all chicks of bearded birds grow up to have beards? Stupid q maybe but i have 4 silkie chicks i hatched from eggs from bearded parent birds and i am curious as to whether any or all of them will get beards.

2. User48

User48 Songster

Aug 1, 2007
    I would love to know the answer to the bearded question you asked, aran, and also get a source list of some kind that explains what will happen if you breed a blue with a black etc., etc. I am completely in love with my two new silkies - will post a picture of them in a bit - and I'd love to bring on some more eventually. They have such sweet temperments & are so beautiful. I never thought I'd love having chickens as much as I love having dogs & cats. They have just as much personality, if not more.

Anyway, if anyone knows a good general Silkie information site that would answer breeding questions, I'd be grateful.

Laura

3. silky ma

silky ma Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    Hey guys I m not new to the board, site wont accept old name and password, so I changed.Henrietta66, I hatch all silkies, I currently have over 12 adults -also juvies, babies to be babies,Every bearded baby has equalled an adult bearded.As for genetics the following basic genetics applies

Blue+Blue=50%Blue,25%Black&25%Splash
    Blue+Splash=50%Blue&50%Splash
    Blue+Black=50%Blue&50%Black
    Black+Splash=100%Blue
    A Black+1 Regular Blue gene= Blue Bird+ another Blue gene=Splash Bird
    Splash+splash should = all Splash
    Splash+Black should=all Blue
    Black is a dominate colour
    White is recessive- hides colour. Colour is genetically present but you cannot see it.- Think of it as an off switch.It takes 2 white genes 2= a white bird. Some whites hatch grey-due to the silver gene and turn pure white .Blue dilutes Blackso keep the colours separate. Mix Blue & Splash can muddie or blurr a splash colour, mate splash with splash. Hope this helps

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Silky ma...do you know the genetics behind gray silkies? Hard to find any info on them, it's be nice to know....since I plan on breeding them. Do they breed true?

5. Happyhenz

Happyhenz Songster

Aug 15, 2007
    Canberra Australia
    Hi Silky Ma yhanks for the colour thing.
    Can you tell me what i would get from a buff roo and a black hen?
    And a buff roo and a white hen?

Cheers Happyhenz

6. silky ma

silky ma Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    He sure is beautiful!!!
    He is a partridge.

7. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Songster

Mar 11, 2007
    Yep. He's a very pretty partridge silkie.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007