1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silly Chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newbie32, Sep 18, 2013.

1. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    I have read all kinds of ideas about what to give for treats. Many ideas I have already tried-spaghetti and watermelon and such. I thought they were funny with the spaghetti and they like herbs like mint and cilantro and basil. BUT one day a few weeks ago I bought string cheese from the store. I took it outside and shredded it like most kids do. They were mildly interested[​IMG] . So I held the pieces on one end and started to swing them around in circular motions. That got there attention! It was chicken football![​IMG] they chased each other down for the pieces hehe! Only one or two will grab things from my hand and then the rest will chase those ones down. If they steal the treat then the original one or two will come back for more.

NOT TODAY! I brought out another piece of string cheese and even my most timid chicken went diving for my hand!! They would gobble them up and then chase around the others until they noticed I was holding another piece-then come snatch it out of my hand. HAHA they LOVE string cheese!

2. Incukahlan

Incukahlan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's hilarious, never would have thought of string cheese. Lol. Mine all love pomegranates. It helps that we have a never ending supply right outside their coop in the tree. Very convenient. The only problem is our two pot bellied pigs also like them, and as pigs will be pigs, it can get a little crazy sometimes. Your whole football with cheese? yeah, our pigs with pomegranates. Lol. They alone could eat the whole tree if they could stand on their hind legs. [​IMG]Lol.

3. anirishfarmer

anirishfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2013
    Ireland
    this i must try to try and get my leghorn Blonde [​IMG]

to calm down a bit [​IMG]

thanks for sharing [​IMG]

Health and happiness

4. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    LMAO so you pretty much don't get any for yourselves!

5. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    YES! Try it and maybe after a few times she wont be able to resist! Just make sure to swing it around as if it was a worm wiggling

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by