1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silly question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BigBen, May 9, 2009.

1. BigBen

BigBen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I was working on my coop today and the mosquito's where horrible. My wife came down and asked if the Mosquito's were going to bother the chickens. I said "I dunno"[​IMG]
    Has anyone ever noticed if they are effected by them.

2. Lady Henevere

Lady Henevere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Los Angeles County
    If you type "mosquitoes" into the search bar in the top right part of the page, you should find some good information on this topic. Good luck!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We are lucky here... we don't have a lot of standing water here....and anyone who lets their pool go so that mosquitos can breed in it are subject to a HUGE fine. West Nile is a problem here.

4. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I was very concerned about this last summer when I got my new babies. You can't walk out into the back yard here without getting a bite in the summer, at any time of day. I put screen door screen over every possible spot where they could get into the coop. Turns out, it was one of the first bugs my babies learned to eat! It never seemed like a problem. I have since taken down all the screen, because it got covered with coop dust and reduced the ventilation.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  5. BigBen

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I'm surprised they eat mosquito's, I thought they had bad eyesight.

6. TN.MamaHen

TN.MamaHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Mine eat every bug that catches their eye!![​IMG] even mosquitos,and ticks!![​IMG] Oh how I love my chickies!!

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    No, its not a silly question. [​IMG]

Yes, mosquitoes can transmit diseases to your chickens, including fowl pox. [​IMG]

8. BigBen

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I was working on the coop tonight(pouring cement) and the mosquito's were so thick I was breathing them in.
    We need a dry spell to dry up the swamp. There isn't much standing water, but the skunk cabbage is unbelievable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by