Silver Appleyard Indian Runner Duckling - 5.5 Week old pics, 26th May

smile.png

Not only is she cute to look at but she is also very tame. She loves sitting in your lap and rolls over slightly so you can rub her belly. If you say the command "stretch" then she puts her leg and wing out like they do when they stretch sitting down and lets you rub her foot.
She knows a handful of commands now and is learning faster than my Campbell did:

Dinner Time
Worms
Come here
Stretch
What's this
Sit Down

I am still relatively new to ducks and I am by no means an expert.
How Silver Appleyardy is she? I tried looking for Silver Appleyard ducklings and found 1 week old pics...but nothing from 1 week to adult.

Woka

Like you would a dog.
It takes time...

My White Campbell does "circle"...when I say this she runs in a circle around my legs.
My friend tried it...she ran 3m across the room to me and ran around my legs, not his. Haha.
I'm currently training her to heal
big_smile.png

The runner learnt "sit down" at 2-3 weeks because she tries to stand up straight when I carry her, which is akward and she is easily dropped, which I haven't done yet but runners are slippery critters.
So I stood still and kept saying "sit down" until she sat in the palm of my hand, then a "good girl" and a stroke and then I carried on walking.
When she stands up now I say "sit down" once, maybe twice and she sits straight down...same if she's on my lap, or running around the floor.

In general repeat the command until they do what you're training them to do...maybe with a little help/positioning 1st.
Then when they do it say "good girl" and reward them.

From what I have found ducks arn't as responsive as dogs, you sometimes have to repeat the command a handful of times, depends on what the duck is snuffling at the time....but then again I suppose this is the same with dogs.
You certainly arn't going to be able to train a duck to fetch.

My chickens know 5-6 commands too...but they are all pavlov's dog reactions to a certain extent...although they do know "inside" and "out" when I invite them in the house, or kick them out. They learnt those commands when they were a few weeks old and lived indoors...and my Marans knows "Up" when I want her to fly up onto my arm...and if I say "hand chicken" and pat my leg my bantam cochin comes running and jumps on me.

Although ducks can get their heads around tricks...like "circle"...I don't think I would ever get a chicken to circle.

Don't get frustrated if at first it doesn't seem to be sinking in. Just repeat repeat repeat and after a few weeks they start responding.

EDIT: One very important thing...the duck must be as friendly as pie and love human contact. Luckily both mine love human contact.

Woka

Last edited:
That’s so cool! We got our as young adults and they aren’t very cuddly. They will carefully approach when we have food, but don’t let us pet/hold them. I will definitely try training with our upcoming ducklings!

Like you would a dog.
It takes time...

My White Campbell does "circle"...when I say this she runs in a circle around my legs.
My friend tried it...she ran 3m across the room to me and ran around my legs, not his. Haha.
I'm currently training her to heal
big_smile.png

The runner learnt "sit down" at 2-3 weeks because she tries to stand up straight when I carry her, which is akward and she is easily dropped, which I haven't done yet but runners are slippery critters.
So I stood still and kept saying "sit down" until she sat in the palm of my hand, then a "good girl" and a stroke and then I carried on walking.
When she stands up now I say "sit down" once, maybe twice and she sits straight down...same if she's on my lap, or running around the floor.

In general repeat the command until they do what you're training them to do...maybe with a little help/positioning 1st.
Then when they do it say "good girl" and reward them.

From what I have found ducks arn't as responsive as dogs, you sometimes have to repeat the command a handful of times, depends on what the duck is snuffling at the time....but then again I suppose this is the same with dogs.
You certainly arn't going to be able to train a duck to fetch.

My chickens know 5-6 commands too...but they are all pavlov's dog reactions to a certain extent...although they do know "inside" and "out" when I invite them in the house, or kick them out. They learnt those commands when they were a few weeks old and lived indoors...and my Marans knows "Up" when I want her to fly up onto my arm...and if I say "hand chicken" and pat my leg my bantam cochin comes running and jumps on me.

Although ducks can get their heads around tricks...like "circle"...I don't think I would ever get a chicken to circle.

Don't get frustrated if at first it doesn't seem to be sinking in. Just repeat repeat repeat and after a few weeks they start responding.

EDIT: One very important thing...the duck must be as friendly as pie and love human contact. Luckily both mine love human contact.

Woka

smile.png

Not only is she cute to look at but she is also very tame. She loves sitting in your lap and rolls over slightly so you can rub her belly. If you say the command "stretch" then she puts her leg and wing out like they do when they stretch sitting down and lets you rub her foot.
She knows a handful of commands now and is learning faster than my Campbell did:

Dinner Time
Worms
Come here
Stretch
What's this
Sit Down

I am still relatively new to ducks and I am by no means an expert.
How Silver Appleyardy is she? I tried looking for Silver Appleyard ducklings and found 1 week old pics...but nothing from 1 week to adult.

Woka

Attachments

• 4D606FBD-633D-4ADC-B055-425D5BF16E55.jpeg
    4D606FBD-633D-4ADC-B055-425D5BF16E55.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 14
  • C328008A-82AF-4BEA-9773-F7769F0D5B4D.jpeg
    C328008A-82AF-4BEA-9773-F7769F0D5B4D.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 14
This is our small flock playing in the snow. The black one is our runner, and we have one appleyard and one white hybrid

Back
Top Bottom