Silver coturnix sexing

Aug 5, 2021
Yarmouth NS
My silver is 6 weeks old..has not tried to mount a hen..runs from males..does not fight them..no eggs yet..calm temperament.. attacked by males..

I think that you have to vent sex these, but I was wondering if anyone who knows more than I do (everyone honestly..lol) can tell from looking if it's male or female..

Attachments

• IMG_20210924_100437_428.jpg
    IMG_20210924_100437_428.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210924_101838_653.jpg
    IMG_20210924_101838_653.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If your silver is wild pattern, it can be gendered like a pharaoh, and based on what I can see of the head stripe, it looks like a wild pattern, however, it looks like it might have some pied running across the chest, which will mess things up, and require vent sexing like tuxes of any other color. The silvers should have a gray or white chest, and will have the general look of a regular wild pattern chest, but gray, meaning it gets that shaded look around the edges. I’m not certain how common it is, but my only pretender was a silver. He had a lovely clearly spotted chest, gray spots over pure white, and one day I went to clean the cage, I took him out first and as I reached for the next bird, he started crowing his head off alone in the box.

I suspect that’s a male based on the face injury. I have a small, gentle male in my grow out, because I really like him, but the males hate him, and the adult hens are so big, sometimes they get too pushy with him. When he gets a face injury like that, I know there’s a boy in the grow out that I haven’t found yet, and it’s time to pull everyone out and have a look under their skirts.

If your silver is wild pattern, it can be gendered like a pharaoh, and based on what I can see of the head stripe, it looks like a wild pattern, however, it looks like it might have some pied running across the chest, which will mess things up, and require vent sexing like tuxes of any other color. The silvers should have a gray or white chest, and will have the general look of a regular wild pattern chest, but gray, meaning it gets that shaded look around the edges. I’m not certain how common it is, but my only pretender was a silver. He had a lovely clearly spotted chest, gray spots over pure white, and one day I went to clean the cage, I took him out first and as I reached for the next bird, he started crowing his head off alone in the box.

I suspect that’s a male based on the face injury. I have a small, gentle male in my grow out, because I really like him, but the males hate him, and the adult hens are so big, sometimes they get too pushy with him. When he gets a face injury like that, I know there’s a boy in the grow out that I haven’t found yet, and it’s time to pull everyone out and have a look under their skirts.
I appreciate the knowledge..I believe that it's from a wild pattern, but I don't know because I purchased the eggs at a roadside farm..I never saw the birds or asked what they were..I hatch 4..the other male is definitely wild color..

There is pied as you said because it's on the wingtips and one of his hatch mates is a tuxedo British range..I would keep him, but I like the silver pied..

He is chilling with a golden Italian hen.. can't wait to see what offspring they produce..

Back
Top Bottom