Silver Dorking hen keeps laying down

Chillychick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 15, 2012
Don't understand it. She is 11 weeks old and everytime I look at her she is laying down. Doesn't look sick. She can walk. She just goes to another spot and lays down. He legs look normal. Any ideas?

First, I would separate her from the rest of your flock in case she is sick with something contagious. Once she is in a "hospital" cage, you can watch her more closely for what is ailing her. At 11 weeks, her comb likely isn't totally red yet, but do you think it looks paler? Examine her droppings for signs of parasites. Examine her legs and skin beneath her feathers for mites. Mites and worms can cause anemia. Open her mouth and smell--does it smell bad? That could be sour crop. Or maybe she has an impacted crop. Is she eating and drinking? Feel her crop to see if there's any food in it. How's her weight? Check her all over for signs of injury.

I hope you are able to figure out what is going on with her and that she starts to feel better soon!

No improvement. She is plenty fat. She even lays down to eat. Her comb has yellow but might be because of age. I will try to get a close up photo. Don't smell anything. Don't see anything in her poop. Looks normal to me. I can't figure it out. I hope she makes it. She is really sweet.

My Barred Wyndotte who is about the same age is doing the same thing. I got her a week ago from the breeder and thought she was too fat to walk at first! She hasn't gone to rest at any point today unlike my others.
She nearly got blown over by the wind today and seems to over balance when preening.
She has scratched for food and ordinarily she gobbles her food but I didn't notice what she ate today.
She is acting odd though, just throws food out of the food container and then pecks at that.
I will watch her more closely tomorrow though.

When was she last wormed? you might want to treat with Corid for coccidia and then with safeguard for worms just encase....internal parasites cN really bring them down and make them weak....especially young birds. she has a good bit of red in her face for 11 weeks

When was she last wormed? you might want to treat with Corid for coccidia and then with safeguard for worms just encase....internal parasites cN really bring them down and make them weak....especially young birds. she has a good bit of red in her face for 11 weeks
I agree about the wormer and coccidiostat.

Here's one of my Silver Grays when she was about 10 weeks old... Sort of hard to see her since it's not a close-up, but I think her comb looks kind of yellow like your girl's does.

Back
Top Bottom