Silver Duckwing OEGB

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by jossanne, Jun 8, 2016.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last year I bought a silver duckwing OEGB cock and three hens from an APA judge who bought them from a show in Oklahoma - their previous owner was retiring from showing. They were all at least four years old and not really great looking anymore, but he told me the cock won as a cockerel at a big show and he and two of the hens won a best trio. So I think I've got a good foundation for a nice flock. He didn't tell me who he bought them from but I trust his judgment.

I've currently got 7 chicks out of the bunch so far with a few more eggs in my incubator. The first little cockerel is about 7 weeks old and I like the way he carries himself already. His chest has a lot of white on it so far and I wonder if this is normal for this variety. What is the likelihood of the white going away?

Also, in choosing future breeders, what do I look for in the male's comb? I assume it's important to his daughters, right? I plan to dub the males, but not for a couple more months, at least.

I know nothing, although I do have a standard of perfection. It doesn't help much when they're young. Any advice/opinions I can get will be greatly appreciated. TIA!

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    He's young, the white will molt out for adult feathering... a lot of black based have white feathers as juvies...

Hold off on trying to evaluate until after adult feathering...

3. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks for your input. I've got to choose a pair to give to a 4H boy who is into chickens. Shortly after i got the group i promised him some for this year's fair. I'm kicking myself now because i don't have as many chicks as i thought i would. I don't want to give him the best ones, and was hoping there was a way to tell while they're this young.

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by