Silver Laced Barnevelder Chicks/Hatching Eggs?

Hi,

I just stumbled upon this thread and I'm wondering if anyone out there with knowledge on making silvers is still following this thread?

This is a picture of my best LF pullet this year, 2014.

I can easily see which hens are correct, but I'm having trouble knowing if the roosters a silvers or splits.

What should I be looking for on the roosters to be sure they are pure silver and not splits?

Donna

That is a really nice looking pullet. I don't know the answer to your question but I am happy to see people working on the LF silver barnevelders. I am hoping to get involved but I am not even sure where to start.

I noticed that Greenfire farms is selling some nice looking bantams. Is it possible to use a bantam roo on some of these project LF silvers? I realize you would have to work on size but they look to be pretty nicely marked.

Hi Donna

She is a very pretty pullet.

In my birds I have a rooster I know to be a split and I have two cockerels I hatched this year that I suspect may be S/S. All three have some red leakage, I think the only way I can be certain is to breed them with my S/ females and see if we get all silver daughters. Its not fool proof but with a large number of progeny I should know.

I will post pictures of my silver pullets and cockerels from 2014 when I get a chance.

I have noticed improvement in silver this year over last year, since my best silver this year is cleaner than my best silver last year.

Hopefully my SS cockerel will take me further in the right direction.

Andy

Ok I feel dumb.
hide.gif
What do you mean by LF? I have blues and black/gold and I want some silvers BAD. Would I be able to get silvers from breeding my blues to something else? If so, what should I use? I was thinking about trying a black/gold barnie with a silver penciled rock... but I'm unsure. You guys have some beautiful birds!
droolin.gif
I'm so jealous! If you get over run... send em to Oklahoma! lol

Last edited:
Hi Donna

She is a very pretty pullet.

In my birds I have a rooster I know to be a split and I have two cockerels I hatched this year that I suspect may be S/S. All three have some red leakage, I think the only way I can be certain is to breed them with my S/ females and see if we get all silver daughters. Its not fool proof but with a large number of progeny I should know.

I will post pictures of my silver pullets and cockerels from 2014 when I get a chance.

I have noticed improvement in silver this year over last year, since my best silver this year is cleaner than my best silver last year.

Hopefully my SS cockerel will take me further in the right direction.

Andy

Thanks Andy!

This project sure is stingy with it's rewards.Here are some pictures of my boys. I have one boy who is definitely a split because he is 75% Barnie, an (SPPR roo x Barnie hen) X Barnie roo.

THE SPLIT
He is from Trisha and
looks pretty clean considering how much Barnie he has in him.

PURE SILVER?

This is the other one that I am hoping is pure silver. I picked him from the day he hatched, nice gray chick down color and good lacing and color as a youngster at 6-10 weeks.

I have one more that I might keep, but he is still young and has a funny comb so I'm not sure yet. Might keep him as a back up…..just in case….you know how many things like to eat chickens….really hate to think about that….. :-(

Ok I feel dumb.
hide.gif
What do you mean by LF? I have blues and black/gold and I want some silvers BAD. Would I be able to get silvers from breeding my blues to something else? If so, what should I use? I was thinking about trying a black/gold barnie with a silver penciled rock... but I'm unsure. You guys have some beautiful birds!
droolin.gif
I'm so jealous! If you get over run... send em to Oklahoma! lol

I started with a silver penciled plymouth rock rooster X a double laced black Barnevelder hen in 2010. It takes a lot of hatching and culling to make progress.

That is a really nice looking pullet. I don't know the answer to your question but I am happy to see people working on the LF silver barnevelders. I am hoping to get involved but I am not even sure where to start.

I noticed that Greenfire farms is selling some nice looking bantams. Is it possible to use a bantam roo on some of these project LF silvers? I realize you would have to work on size but they look to be pretty nicely marked.

I would think that would work but not sure how long it would take to bring up the size.

The second roo looks very clean to me, in the picture he doesn't seem to be showing any mahogony in the shoulders the way mine do, so just guessing I would say he is S/S. He still has a way to go on type and has a tail that is more like Plymouth Rock, but I like his color..

If you breed him to your nicest type Barnie hens you should get a good number of S/ pullets and then you can select them for type and breed them back to him and select again for type in their progeny.

I have been seeing nice Barnie type in my LF silver project after three times breeding back, though I have to admit I am fighting the red color bleeding through by taking this approach. This fall I have noticed that my 2013 hens molted in with more reddish bleeding than they had in the pullet year. At least that is how it appears to my eye. So when I am comparing my pullets from 2014 to the hens from 2013 what looks like progress in better silver could be a comparison of year one to year two. Time will tell.

You are right this is a slow project, demanding patience. I think that makes your progress all the more valuable. Nice work.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom