Silver Laced Orpington Breeding

Slo to black wouldn’t be 100% black chicken. Leakages and some pattern could come through.

But the extension of black on black orps E should cover most things up.

Heres the mystery chick
20190723_162436.jpg
20190723_162524.jpg
20190723_162534.jpg

@homeschoolin momma

Well I'll tell you it's a boy...lol Look at those big ol' dinosaur feet...lol

Hmmmm....I don't think the mother could be chocolate. The chick would be all black then with maybe some leakage? Probably quite a bit since it is a male.

"Faraday thinks my slo is the daddy, but we dont know who the mom is. All I have is black, lav, chocolate and the partial slo hen."

Are those the only possible pairings? The chick looks pure Orpington in type. The pattern is reminiscent of both Partridge and Golden-laced. In fact, the plumage reminds me a bit of Barnevelders. Granted it's been at least 15 years since I raised any so I could be remembering wrong.

Are those the only possible pairings? The chick looks pure Orpington in type.
On that side of the fence i have:
2 Black roo (trying to get rid of one)
Lav roo
Slo roo
2 lav hens
3 black hens
2 chocolate hens
1 partial slo hen
1 double white recessive hen
Yes, I know, too many roos, I'm trying to get rid of one and hoping for a bunch of girls in this years hatchlings. (Although I know the above one is a boy and at least 2 of the blacks I hatched.:rolleyes:) At least I'm pretty sure my double white is going to be a girl.....they always are.

Other side of the fence in my 2nd pasture I have appenzeller spitzhauben, with a random ee and a serama and silkie that hangs out with them for now that I'm not hatching. I have not witnessed any pasture hopping. Last time my spitz roo thought about it the orp roos chased him down until I rescued him. That was the end of trying that.

So i dont know what this chick is going to be like. A little frustrating.

Orpingtons are extended black though, right?
Yes they are.

I believe that Extended black alone will not make a male bird solid black (E/E, ml+/ml+, pg+/pg+), so most solid black E/E birds carry at least Melanotic.

E/E wildtype females should look solid black, Birchen Females only need Melanotic to turn them solid black but neither eb, e+ nor eWh will be other genes need to happen.

Well it could have come from the Recessive White hen, right? Without receiving two copies of the white gene, one from mom and one from dad, it's probable that the chick would display whatever her double dose of white is covering?

You sound like me with the roosters. lol I've got the three adult SLO with three laying SLO hens and one almost point-of-lay SLO pullet. Plus out of the 17 Lavenders I'm growing out I'm pretty sure there's five males. And with the BBS Orps I'm looking to get I want three blues and two splash hens, and one black rooster and one blue. I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in roosters.

Back
Top Bottom