Silver-laced Wyandotte - 6 weeks - gender - boy or girl? * NEW PIX @ 7 WEEKS*

slw pullet is in front and the rooster is behind her.

Thanks for posting your photo. I see what you mean. The roo wattles are considerably larger. Do you notice any difference in the spur bumps on the boys & girls (if the girls even have any)?

I think you have a pullet. I just hatched out some wyandottes and if it was a boy its comb and wattles would be flaming red and much bigger like the cockerel I have. The wattles will get red as they get older even if you have a female. The comb is the main thing to watch when they are young. Yours looks to be dark and have some black which suggests pullet.

Here is my cockerel. About 7-8 weeks

Here's a pullets roughly the same age.

I think you have a pullet. I just hatched out some wyandottes and if it was a boy its comb and wattles would be flaming red and much bigger like the cockerel I have. The wattles will get red as they get older even if you have a female. The comb is the main thing to watch when they are young. Yours looks to be dark and have some black which suggests pullet.

Here is my cockerel. About 7-8 weeks

Here's a pullets roughly the same age.

I really appreciate the pix and comments. I see that your cockerel at 7-8 weeks isn't even feathered out yet. My SLW looks much more like your pullet, re wattle and feather coloring. Now I'm hopeful we have a pullet after all.

I'd bet on a pullet but look at the saddle feathers really close. if they taper down before they round off it is a cockrel. if they stay wide then round off it is a pullet. usually a cockrel has a cone popping up a little bigger then that by now.
but the saddle will tell the tale.

I too think it's a pullet. A SLW cockerel's comb should be noticeably redder than your is, by 6 wks of age.

I really appreciate everyone's responses!

Based on some comments, I've posted a few more photos (what better way to spend my day off than shooting close-ups of chicken feathers
big_smile.png
). Here are some pix of my SLW's profile, neck, tail & spur bumps at seven weeks.

My regal SLW...

(don't mind the creepy face shot below)

...and masculine spur bumps?

I'll update in a few weeks again. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom