Silver Laced Wyandotte Cockerel & Mother Hen

Chescochickens

Chirping
Jun 25, 2021
Southeastern PA
Hi all - I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerel that I purchased as an Easter Egger pullet. He’s almost 7 weeks old. I have a home secured for him and am wondering when the best time for rehoming is based on his age. His adoptive mother hen has started to create more distance between herself and the babies and isn’t as attentive as she was the first 6 week. Despite her change in behavior, this little guy calls for her whenever she is away from him and even sleeps on her back on the roost bar at night. It’s breaking my heart to separate them. Is he too young for rehoming? Also, please tell my that by some miracle he is a pullet!

Attachments

• IMG_4789.jpeg
    IMG_4789.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4788.jpeg
    IMG_4788.jpeg
    983.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4787.jpeg
    IMG_4787.jpeg
    998.9 KB · Views: 18
At 7 weeks, I’m pretty sure you’re right it’s a cockerel.

Age for rehoming? ASAP. The chicken will get over it and you don’t want to lose the opportunity. Some people have a lot of trouble.

Hi all - I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerel that I purchased as an Easter Egger pullet. He’s almost 7 weeks old. I have a home secured for him and am wondering when the best time for rehoming is based on his age. His adoptive mother hen has started to create more distance between herself and the babies and isn’t as attentive as she was the first 6 week. Despite her change in behavior, this little guy calls for her whenever she is away from him and even sleeps on her back on the roost bar at night. It’s breaking my heart to separate them. Is he too young for rehoming? Also, please tell my that by some miracle he is a pullet!
I have 4 14 week olds hatched by momma. She didn’t stop mothering until about 10 weeks! I ended up with 1 hen . Anyway this guy I knew very early was a Roo so I just called him Momma’s boy. Unfortunately got attached to him but he went to a great family. Momma and Sister are so confused. It’s been four days and she is still clucking at roost time. Sister Lacey is so lonely and trying to fit into flock now that her brothers are gone

Attachments

• IMG_4384.jpeg
    IMG_4384.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5130.jpeg
    IMG_5130.jpeg
    901.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom