Silver Laced Wyandotte gender?

AnnaLease

Chirping
8 Years
May 10, 2011
My mom said she heard one of our 6-week-old chickens crow. Is one these Silver Laced Wyandottes a rooster? I noticed their markings and their combs are different. Chicken A has one row of spikes and Chicken B has two ridges on its head. Anything else I should look for?
A on left, B on right
91163_img_6378.jpg

B on left, A on right
91163_img_6381.jpg

Just A
91163_img_6393.jpg

Just B
91163_img_6383.jpg

Quote:
That much red in the comb and the growing and red wattles are a sign of being a roo at 6 weeks. Pullets generally don't get any red in their combs until they're much older.

Quote:
That much red in the comb and the growing and red wattles are a sign of being a roo at 6 weeks. Pullets generally don't get any red in their combs until they're much older.

X2

If you have only ONE rooster, it is the one with the 'proper' comb that is in the last picture. But, I do tend to agree with Katy that they are more than likely both cockerels.

Uh-oh. This doesn't sound good. I've heard that one rooster is OK, but what about two? Will they get along with each other? Will they fight?

Quote:
I have 8 roos right together right now an they all get along pretty good. they have little spats here an now but nothing serious. they were all raised together as chicks.

Quote:
You have two cockerels and they are fine together if raised together. You usually run into the problem when you introduce new roosters to a flock that has a rooster. As stated before the your A is not a pure SLW. Your cockerel has a single comb and SLW have rose combs.

I'm not totally convinced their both roo's yet, I know this is not the consensus of the group, but both of my girls looked similar to yours at that age minus the single comb on the one, I believe these birds are hard to determine, so I'm going with a 50/50 chance right now until they get a little older.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom