Silver Laced Wyandotte gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AnnaLease, Jun 8, 2011.

1. AnnaLease

AnnaLease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    My mom said she heard one of our 6-week-old chickens crow. Is one these Silver Laced Wyandottes a rooster? I noticed their markings and their combs are different. Chicken A has one row of spikes and Chicken B has two ridges on its head. Anything else I should look for?
    A on left, B on right
    [​IMG]
    B on left, A on right
    [​IMG]
    Just A
    [​IMG]
    Just B
    [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They both look like roosters. The one with the single comb doesn't have the correct comb type for a SLW.

3. AnnaLease

May 10, 2011
    Can you explain your hypothesis (is that the right word?)?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:That much red in the comb and the growing and red wattles are a sign of being a roo at 6 weeks. Pullets generally don't get any red in their combs until they're much older.

5. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:That much red in the comb and the growing and red wattles are a sign of being a roo at 6 weeks. Pullets generally don't get any red in their combs until they're much older.

X2

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    If you have only ONE rooster, it is the one with the 'proper' comb that is in the last picture. But, I do tend to agree with Katy that they are more than likely both cockerels.

7. AnnaLease

May 10, 2011
    Uh-oh. This doesn't sound good. I've heard that one rooster is OK, but what about two? Will they get along with each other? Will they fight?

8. Bantam90210

Bantam90210 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Smithsburg/Waynesboro
    Quote:I have 8 roos right together right now an they all get along pretty good. they have little spats here an now but nothing serious. they were all raised together as chicks.

9. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:You have two cockerels and they are fine together if raised together. You usually run into the problem when you introduce new roosters to a flock that has a rooster. As stated before the your A is not a pure SLW. Your cockerel has a single comb and SLW have rose combs.

10. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I'm not totally convinced their both roo's yet, I know this is not the consensus of the group, but both of my girls looked similar to yours at that age minus the single comb on the one, I believe these birds are hard to determine, so I'm going with a 50/50 chance right now until they get a little older.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by