Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

Pics
Any ideas on the gender of this SLW chick at 8 weeks? This pic is a good comparison shot to my GLW at the exact same age. The silver was late to feather (still waiting on some at the tail) and the beak got red early. He/she seems to be smaller, less roundish, tail was more stump-like and has an upright posture. I have thought roo for quite a while, but am new to raising chickens and need some imput. Thanks!

Last edited:
Not sure if it helps but this is my GLW rooster at 9 weeks. I was sure he was a roo by 4 weeks. I don't see the same comb and wattle development on your SLW. My GLW pullet looks just like yours too.

Check my double laced Barnvelders! I was sure one was a male because they ere so different from the beginning...
I'd say the red wing now clinches it, eh?

Reading through these posts and checking pictures, I think one of my two SLWs is a boy. What do you think? First four pics are of the one I suspect is male, the last pic is the other one for comparison. They're about 4 weeks old. At least 'he' wouldn't need a name change - it is Loki since 'he' picks on my yellow lab, Thor. I have 7 chicks and I already found out one of the RIR is a cockerel so now I'm wondering how many of the rest I can handle being roos!

The other SLW chick

Reading through these posts and checking pictures, I think one of my two SLWs is a boy. What do you think? First four pics are of the one I suspect is male, the last pic is the other one for comparison. They're about 4 weeks old. At least 'he' wouldn't need a name change - it is Loki since 'he' picks on my yellow lab, Thor. I have 7 chicks and I already found out one of the RIR is a cockerel so now I'm wondering how many of the rest I can handle being roos!

The other SLW chick

First off I just have to say, awesome names! Neither one looks particularly rooish but they are still very young. You'll need another few weeks.

First off I just have to say, awesome names! Neither one looks particularly rooish but they are still very young. You'll need another few weeks.
LOL, thanks. The dog got his name by being the biggest and blondest in his litter. The little chick - well, it introduced itself to Thor with a solid peck on the nose so it got the first name of the flock - Loki, Thor's annoying and persistent younger sibling. Funny thing is that the dog gives the chicks a wide berth now, and if he comes too close to the coop Loki will raise a commotion and the dog will run off again. So if Loki is a roo he is already taking his flock protection duties seriously!

Not sure if it helps but this is my GLW rooster at 9 weeks. I was sure he was a roo by 4 weeks. I don't see the same comb and wattle development on your SLW. My GLW pullet looks just like yours too.

Can you look at these updated pics and tell me what you think? It looks like my bird is developing saddle feathers. A large number of feathers are pointy, but there still isn't much development of the waddles and comb.
1f914.png
The white flecks are from an Epsom salt bath!
1f609.png

What age now? My GLW pullet does not have that much red, or saddle feathers. I'm new to chickens too but I'm less confident thinking yours is a pullet. Could be a boy. Hope someone else weighs in!

Back
Top Bottom