Silver Laced Wyandottes- bad attitudes?

Quote:
You forget though, or maybe are just unfamiliar with it, but hatchery stock is the typical stock in the US. Few people know what a quality bird is and even fewer people breed for quality.

Exactly. We don't actively go out for the cheapest chickens, or I wouldn't have even bought the SLW, I would have bought a breed that I already know and love and are cheaper to buy- I could have bought a familiar breed for half of what I paid for those chicks.

Hatcheries are where they all come from unless you seek out a breeder, which most people do not unless they are looking for something in particular. When you are just trying out a new breed, you either buy from the hatchery or go to the feedstore who gets their birds from the hatcheries.

Quote:
I disagree with that statement
smile.png
The last several years I have went straight to a breeder and some of them were very difficult to find for the breeds I wanted. After years of hatchery birds I was tired of them not looking like the breed they were supposed to be. Trying out a breed from the hatchery most often does not give you a good example of either the body shape, color or the temprement of the different breeds.

You forget though, or maybe are just unfamiliar with it, but hatchery stock is the typical stock in the US. Few people know what a quality bird is and even fewer people breed for quality.

Quite so, but prior to living in US I shouldnt; have known that. It is completely different, at least in UK.

Wernlas, near the Welsh border, & places like it, are probably the closest Britain has to hatcheries that sell pure breeds. http://www.wernlas.com/breeds.html
Really
there is no comparison, US hatcheries are considerably larger concerns, but US hatchery stock is not even close to being in the same league quality wise.
Otherwise there are commercial hatcheries that produce commercial hybrids.​

After years of hatchery birds I was tired of them not looking like the breed they were supposed to be.

I get the impression that most people don;t ever realise that what they get from the hatchery is not what the breed is supposed to look like. I'd hazzard a guess that 90% of people keeping chickens have bought them from a hatchery or the agricultural merchant's & are never any the wiser regarding the quality, or lack of quality, of their stock .​

Quote:
I get the impression that most people don;t ever realise that what they get from the hatchery is not what the breed is supposed to look like. I'd hazzard a guess that 90% of people keeping chickens have bought them from a hatchery or the agricultural merchant's & are never any the wiser regarding the quality, or lack of quality, of their stock .

You are sadly more than likely very correct.

Quote:
I get the impression that most people don;t ever realise that what they get from the hatchery is not what the breed is supposed to look like. I'd hazzard a guess that 90% of people keeping chickens have bought them from a hatchery or the agricultural merchant's & are never any the wiser regarding the quality, or lack of quality, of their stock .

I do believe you have hit the nail on the head!!!
cool.png

Hi! I got 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte girls from IDEAL in '05 and my girls were doormats. Sweet and friendly, but would squat for anything that walked by. If there is such a thing as too 'mellow/submissive', they were. Beautiful girls, though!
I never had a slw roo so nothing to compare.
smile.png

Lisa

I have BLR wyandottes from top breeders. They are very mellow towards each other and don't bother people unless you try to pick them up and then they grab hold and don't let go. They're gentle enough if you don't try to handle them. Unfortunately, it seems I've always got a reason to pick one up.

Back
Top Bottom