Silver Laced Wyandottes- bad attitudes?

blaundee

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
I have always wanted to try Silver Laced Wyandottes- with all the different breeds and varieties that I've tried over the years, I had never tried them. So I bought some this spring. First thing I noticed- they were not as hardy/thrifty as the many other breeds I've tried. The only other breed I've had that was less hardy than them were Porcelains, and Porcelains are just little tiny things anyway.

Second thing I noticed was that they were mean. The rooster was very aggressive, and the hens later turned aggressive as well, picking each others heads and attacking me- Not acceptable. I raised them by hand just like all the others, trying to make them into pets. My other chickens- I can walk up to them and pick them up when they are loose, and they never bite me, etc. They like me. Not the Wyandottes.

The meanness was what made me give them away, though they are gorgeous birds, just so pretty- I can't stand mean animals. (I raise American Fighting Game chickens and they are not at all mean, great pets.)

So anyway, I am just wondering if it was just my batch of birds, or is this typical of this breed? They are SO pretty...

Quote:
Wow, I've never heard of Orpingtons being aggressive! I love Orps, especially the buff ones- SO cute and sweet!!!
smile.png
I guess there is plenty to be said of selective breeding, breeding for QUALITY vs QUANTITY. You know, as a horse breeder, I fully understand the importance of breeding for temperament, but I really never thought of breeding for temperament in chickens! I don't knwo why I never considered it, as long as I've had chickens!!!
tongue.png

You forget though, or maybe are just unfamiliar with it, but hatchery stock is the typical stock in the US. Few people know what a quality bird is and even fewer people breed for quality.

Quite so, but prior to living in US I shouldnt; have known that. It is completely different, at least in UK.

Wernlas, near the Welsh border, & places like it, are probably the closest Britain has to hatcheries that sell pure breeds. http://www.wernlas.com/breeds.html
Really
there is no comparison, US hatcheries are considerably larger concerns, but US hatchery stock is not even close to being in the same league quality wise.
Otherwise there are commercial hatcheries that produce commercial hybrids.​

I think it depends on the line they're from. If they were from a hatchery they were bred for numbers without culling for bad attitudes, poor lacing, body shape, those kinds of things. Mine are very friendly and calm birds, but they are from a couple of breeders...not hatcheries which I think makes a lot of difference.

That has also been my experience with the breed. Been flogged by SLW more than any other breeds. Bent down to pick up the feeder and sorry scumbag got me right by the eye. I didn't wait to give him away, he was stew by the end of the day!

Quote:
LOL I don't blame you!! He woulda been hanging from my hand by his neck immediately!!! My rooster was not even 2 months old and flogging me!!! You could barely tell he was a rooster!!! Had he actually caused me to bleed, he woulda been in the crockpot that day!

Back
Top Bottom