Silver Laced Wyandottes- bad attitudes?

My BLRW and my Silvers are the most docile of all my breeds at this time. This was not true with the hatchery stock I started with.

It is true that so many folks do not understand the difference between the breeds of hatchery birds and good breeder birds that are bred to a standard. I till folks I have some heritage RIR and how unique they are in cotrast to the "normal" stock and sure enough they go off telling me about the merits of the breed and what they had without listening to a word about the difference.

Some dont get it even after seeing the difference. The differnece in hatchery SLW vs the awesome birds I got from a Tennesssee breeder is literally night and day. The lacing is so distinct and so bright it is incredible.

I have now talked myself into ordering a couple dozen eggs from him.

Quote:
I get the impression that most people don;t ever realise that what they get from the hatchery is not what the breed is supposed to look like. I'd hazzard a guess that 90% of people keeping chickens have bought them from a hatchery or the agricultural merchant's & are never any the wiser regarding the quality, or lack of quality, of their stock .

Krys, you are so close to correct it's scary. I would not have known what the birds were originally supposed to look like had I not gone to a show to compare my "hatchery" birds to them. The difference was amazing.

I have to say that my five hens ( 3 Silver Laced and 2 Golden laced ) are really sweet birds. I got them from a hatchery 3 months ago. I am disappointed in their coloring, they are beautiful but I don't think they have the most uniform coloring like are suppose to. They do get a little excited when I bring treats but I haven't had any bad attitudes yet.
smile.png

One of my two feed store blue Wyandottes is like a lap dog. The other is docile, if a bit chatty. They the prettiest of my assorted breeds.

My SLW is the quietest and least social of my 12 pullets. She's definitely bottom of the pecking order. Her lacing is quite good for a hatchery chick. She came from Meyer's. She's not particularly endearing, but she's by no means offensive or aggressive.

Now if one of them will just lay an egg...

Quote:
Mine are from Ideal you have given me hope. So far they are sweet, and I can't complain about the coloring at all. I can't ever imagine showing or breeding birds they are pets that lay eggs, roam around our yard and create a conversation with friends. For me the hatchery birds allow me to get a variety of birds in one place. Am I cheap? No just practical for the purpose of my flock.

Quote:
I need to send you some of our sweet wyandottes to change your mind!!!!
smile.png

They run up to our feet and are very mellow.

I have 3 BLRW right now... They are only about a month or so old, but are nice chickies
smile.png
I can't wait to see how their coloring comes in - mine were from a breeder... So far they are at the bottom of the pecking order, and just stay out of the line of fire
smile.png

My SLW is 9 weeks old now (I think
roll.png
) she is the sweetest thing right behind my black australorps. My kids can pick her up and hold her all day and she is right there once you come walking up to the there gate. I don't know if her attitude will change once she gets older and laying but right now it is good and we are crossing our fingers that it stays that way. That is the main reason why we got wyandottes because they are always listed as "calm, docile, friendly" breeds.

We are the kind of people that decided we wanted chickens and most of the feed stores here only sell them during Easter or they only carry RIR or Leghorns. So what did we do we looked onnline for a hatchery since trying to find a breeder didn't even cross our minds. But now that I am learning more and more about the whole chicken seen is just like dogs. They are so many dogs bred not to standard it isn't even funny. I don't know why I never thought it wouldn't be the same for chickens. Considering the chicken hatcheries are just like a puppymill for dogs. So back to my point lol sorry rambling I think it is true that a lot of people just by chicken and don't realize that there chickens aren't up to standards, but most probably don't care since they are just pets.

I know that my SLW isn't a great representative of the breed. I posted pics of her and everything on here. She has a single comb and her lacing is all streaky right now. My GLW has the right comb and has actualy lacing on her wings.

sorry for rambling I can get going sometimes.
lau.gif

Quote:
No I haven't had any of his birds, but I've heard great things about him. Since he is a breeder I'd bet you'd have great luck with his birds. breeders don't keep the bad tempered one around to breed from.

Back
Top Bottom