Silver Laced Wyandottes very fatty!!!

sms1225

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
Southern Indiana
I butchered my first batch of silver laced wyandotte hens last fall. I also butchered RIRs. They were both 2 year old hens. I was really surprised at the amount of fat near the rear end of the wyandottes. A tremendous amount. The RIR's did not have this.

Has anyone else encountered this with Wyandottes being fatty. I really liked the Wyandottes much better than the RIRs. I raised them primarily for eggs, but they all make great soup!!

Thanks for all your comments.

It depends; Did you get your Wyandottes from hatchery stock or show quality stock?
wink.png
Because for one, there's a tremendous difference in body type. Wyandottes from hatchery stock are generally thin, small birds like most Rhode Island Reds, however show quality ones are indeed very round and meaty, not just under the feathers but also with all the feathers and fluff on them.

Excessive fat at the rear end usually means having too fatty of a diet though, and doesn't link much to the breed. A breed that reflects well on its meat qualities is one with good weight and plenty breast and thigh volume.

Those are the only two breeds I've butchered so far. Well, the two Wyandottes I killed were SL/BLR crosses. But they were much plumper and meatier than the RIRs. I haven't cooked those two yet, but I anticipate good things from them. This bodes well for the extra roosters on our upcoming project, raising SLW for my son to show and BLRW for me to admire.

Back
Top Bottom